Rela Institute of Orthopaedics and Spine Surgery’ team is comprised of some of the area’s most dedicated and respected doctors and clinical staff, who specialize in orthopaedics, joint replacement, knee replacement, advanced joint replacement treatments in Chennai and some of the best hip resurfacing doctor in India and spinal surgery. Our physicians are joined by a team of experienced nursing professionals, rehabilitative therapists, pain experts, dietitians and related health care professionals to provide a comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach to your treatment.
An orthopaedic doctor, also known as an orthopedist, is a medical professional who specialises in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of musculoskeletal conditions. These conditions involve the bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, muscles, and other related structures that support the body’s movement. Orthopaedic doctors are extensively trained to manage a wide range of Orthopaedic issues, from minor injuries to complex disorders, and are dedicated to restoring function and improving the quality of life for their patients.
What does an Orthopaedic Doctor do?
Orthopaedic doctors provide comprehensive care for musculoskeletal problems. Their responsibilities include:
- Diagnosis: Orthopedists use their expertise to accurately diagnose various musculoskeletal conditions through physical examinations, medical history reviews, and diagnostic imaging tests like X-rays, MRI, CT scans, and ultrasound.
- Treatment: Once the diagnosis is established, Orthopaedic doctors employ various treatment approaches. These may include non-surgical methods like medications, physical therapy, exercise programs, orthotics, and joint injections. In cases where conservative treatments are ineffective, they may recommend surgery.
- Surgery: Orthopaedic doctors are trained surgeons, and they perform various surgical procedures to repair injuries, correct deformities, and alleviate chronic conditions. These surgeries could involve joint replacements, arthroscopy, fracture fixation, spine surgery, and more.
- Preventive Care: Orthopedists also emphasise preventive care to help patients avoid injuries and maintain musculoskeletal health. They educate patients about proper body mechanics, injury prevention strategies, and lifestyle modifications.
- Rehabilitation: After surgery or significant injuries, Orthopaedic doctors work closely with physical therapists to guide patients through the rehabilitation process, aiding in recovery and regaining functionality.
When to See an Orthopaedic Doctor for Shoulder Pain?
Shoulder pain can arise due to various reasons, such as rotator cuff injuries, shoulder impingement, osteoarthritis, or tendonitis. You should consider seeing an Orthopaedic doctor for shoulder pain if:
- The pain is severe and persistent, limiting your range of motion and daily activities.
- The pain is accompanied by swelling, bruising, or a visible deformity.
- You experienced a traumatic injury to the shoulder, such as a fall or dislocation.
- Conservative treatments like rest, ice, and over-the-counter pain medications aren’t providing relief.
- The pain is interfering with your sleep or causing weakness or numbness in the arm.
Do Orthopaedic Doctors Do Surgery?
Yes, Orthopaedic doctors are qualified and skilled surgeons. They are trained to perform various surgical procedures to treat musculoskeletal conditions when conservative treatments are inadequate or ineffective. Some common Orthopaedic surgeries include joint replacements (e.g., knee or hip replacement), arthroscopic surgeries (to repair damaged cartilage or ligaments), spine surgeries, and fracture fixation.
What does an Orthopaedic Doctor Specialize in?
Orthopaedic doctors specialise in diagnosing and treating a wide range of musculoskeletal conditions, including:
- Joint Disorders: Osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and other conditions affecting the joints.
- Bone Injuries: Fractures, dislocations, and stress fractures.
- Soft Tissue Injuries: Tendon and ligament injuries, sprains, and strains.
- Sports Injuries: Injuries related to sports and physical activities.
- Spine Disorders: Disc herniations, spinal stenosis, and other spine-related issues.
- Congenital Conditions: Birth defects and developmental abnormalities of the bones and joints.
- Degenerative Conditions: Conditions that cause the progressive deterioration of joint or bone health.
- Trauma: Orthopaedic doctors manage acute traumatic injuries resulting from accidents or falls.
Can an Orthopaedic Doctor Treat Arthritis?
Yes, Orthopaedic doctors can treat arthritis. They are well-versed in managing various forms of arthritis, including osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Treatment approaches for arthritis may involve a combination of medication, physical therapy, joint injections, and lifestyle modifications. In severe cases where conservative treatments fail to provide relief, Orthopaedic surgeons may recommend joint replacement surgery.
What is an Orthopaedic Surgeon?
An Orthopaedic surgeon is a medical doctor who has completed extensive training in Orthopaedic surgery after completing medical school. Orthopaedic surgeons specialize in performing surgical interventions for musculoskeletal conditions. They are well-versed in various surgical techniques and technologies used to treat bone and joint injuries, congenital disorders, degenerative conditions, and other Orthopaedic problems.
When to See an Orthopaedic Doctor: You should consider seeing an Orthopaedic doctor if you experience any of the following:
- Persistent joint or muscle pain.
- Limited range of motion in a joint.
- Difficulty performing daily activities due to musculoskeletal problems.
- A traumatic injury to a bone or joint.
- Signs of a musculoskeletal deformity or abnormality.
What is Orthopaedic Surgery?
Orthopaedic surgery refers to the branch of medical specialty that deals with surgical interventions for musculoskeletal conditions. It involves the surgical treatment of various injuries and disorders affecting the bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, and muscles. The goal of Orthopaedic surgery is to restore function, reduce pain, and improve the overall quality of life for patients.
What is Orthopaedic Care?
Orthopaedic care encompasses a comprehensive range of medical services aimed at the diagnosis, treatment, rehabilitation, and prevention of musculoskeletal conditions. It involves the expertise of Orthopaedic doctors, surgeons, physical therapists, and other healthcare professionals who work together to provide personalized and effective care for each patient.
Orthopaedics is a crucial medical specialty because it addresses the numerous musculoskeletal issues that people of all ages can experience. The health of our bones, joints, and muscles directly impacts our ability to move, work, and enjoy life. Orthopaedic doctors and surgeons play a pivotal role in restoring mobility, alleviating pain, and helping individuals maintain an active lifestyle.
Where can I seek out an orthopedic specialist in Chennai?
To find an orthopedist in Chennai, visit https://www.relainstitute.com/, the website of Rela Institute & Medical Centre. Look for the Orthopedics department, check the list of doctors, and contact the chosen specialist for an appointment.