Cirrhosis is chronic condition of scarring the liver tissues that impairs blood supply to liver and hampers vital liver functions. Liver cirrhosis is primarily caused due to infections, hepatitis and alcohol abuse.
What is Cirrhosis of the Liver
In cirrhosis the scar tissues stop blood flow in liver and make it incapable to process natural fluids and nutrients, hampering body’s overall detox mechanism. It slowly stops livers protein, hormone and other vital nutrient production as well.
Signs and Symptoms of Cirrhosis of Liver
Liver cirrhosis initially may not have any visible symptoms. However, with liver dysfunction advancement, the signs and symptoms that may be seen include:
- Weakness and excessive fatigue
- Loss of appetite and acute weight loss
- Yellow eyes and pale dull body skin
- Bruises, and skin rashes
- Dark colored urine
- White stools
- Upper abdominal pain
- Vomiting and nausea
Cirrhosis of Liver Causes
There can be multiple health issues that cause liver cirrhosis – liver infections, hepatitis, prolonged drug and alcohol abuse are some of the known reasons; other underlying causes may include:
- Acute Alcoholism
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Sugar metabolism or Glycogen storage disorder
- Uncontrolled iron accumulation in body
- Copper buildup in body
- Bile duct dysfunction
- Fatty liver
- Dysfunctional immune system
- Drug and medical reactions
Risk factors of Liver Cirrhosis Treatment
Risk associated with treatment of liver cirrhosis in India include:
- Excessive alcohol consumption leading to rapid liver damage
- Excessive body fat and fatty liver, due to unhealthy food habits and lifestyle
- Improper treatment of jaundice and Hepatitis B, can lead to chronic liver infections.
Liver Cirrhosis Types
- Hepatitis C infected liver cirrhosis
- Alcohol abuse related liver cirrhosis
- Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis related cirrhosis that blocks and damages bile ducts
How to Prevent Liver Cirrhosis
Prevent and reduce further deterioration of liver cirrhosis by following these methods:
- Avoid alcohol completely, consumption of alcohol may further deteriorate the liver cells by scarring liver tissues.
- Watch your weight and food intake, having lots of natural and healthy diet helps fat reduction and controls cirrhosis effectively.
- Be careful with medication and drugs, consult your doctor before administering any new medicine.
- Get treatment from best liver hospital in India for Hepatitis B and C. Take hepatitis vaccines to ensure maximum protection from liver infections.
- Do not share needles with others, and never have unprotected sex.
- Consult a medical expert for liver cirrhosis screening test if detected with hepatitis B and C infections
LIVER CIRRHOSIS TREATMENT & DIAGNOSIS
Liver Cirrhosis Diagnosis
Infections of liver, tumors and hepatitis often exhibit non-specific symptoms, they are diagnosed only after liver screening tests.
- Blood tests: These tests are primary to detect liver functions, and levels of blood components known to be tumor markers.
- Increased liver enzymes
- Increased bilirubin
- Decrease in blood protein
- Acute imbalance in blood count
- Viral infections
- Abnormal Antibody detection
- CT Scanning and Ultrasound tests: Doctors advise abdominal imaging tests to understand the causes, stage and type of liver cirrhosis.
- CT scan accurately determines tumors.
- MRI and ultrasound aide in determining damage and planning further treatment.
- Biopsy tests: A small sample of the liver tissue is taken and tested in laboratory to decide the type of treatment to be administered to the patient.
Liver Cirrhosis Treatment
Depending on the cause and type of liver cirrhosis the treatment options include:
- Treatment through Medication: Certain drugs are administered to patients who do not respond well non-invasive treatment methods.
- Treatment through Surgery: The extent of damage caused by liver cirrhosis determines whether liver transplant surgery will cure the patient. Cirrhotic tumors in early stages are best eradicated through surgical methods and liver transplant.
- Treatment through non-surgical methods: In advanced stages of liver;
- Endoscopy is administered to stop internal bleeding and blood in stools.
- Treatment through Banding: To seize bleeding an elastic band is planted at base of varices.
- Injection sclerotherapy: A fluid component is injected in varices to form a scar tissue and induce blood clot, this bypasses the bleeding by stemming method.
- Antibiotic Therapy: In case infection level are high antibiotic therapy is introduced during non-surgical treatment methods.
If you are referred to a cirrhosis specialist in Rela Hospital, Chennai, you will get the best customized treatment to fully manage your health condition.
Timely check-ups and medical help will ensure your optimum health. Our experts are updated with new medical advancements in medicine and provide latest international drug therapy for patients of liver cirrhosis.
Lifestyle and others
- Have a low sodium diet.
- Avoid artificial food supplements.
- Do not consume alcohol.
- Keep a balanced body weight.
- Have healthy and low fat diet.
- Avoid over the counter drugs.
- Get medical help for infections.
Preparing for your appointment
To get an appointment with expert doctor in best hospital for treatment of liver cirrhosis in Chennai – Rela Hospital, fill the request form with patient details and contact information. All appointments are made through Digital OP scheduling system, this ensures a call back from patient associate within 48 hours of enquiry.
Our Patient Associate will help you in case of any financial emergency. There are many health insurance companies available for deserving patients in the hospital.
WHY Rela Hospital
The Rela Hospital Advantage
Rela Hospital’s expert medical panel consists of top liver cirrhosis doctor in India and is undoubtedly the best hospital for treatment of liver cirrhosis in Chennai. In case of any complication in liver cirrhosis you can trust Rela Hospital for timely guidance and treatment.
The state-of-the-art building is well equipped with all modern medical amenities and infrastructure according world medical council standards.
As Rela Hospital believes in privacy of its esteemed patients health issues, you may request for a patient referral or a feedback. Rela Hospital has treated international patients too at par with world standards and has huge satisfied and happy patient community.
Best Liver Cirrhosis Specialists in Chennai are eager to help and treat you!