Dr. Shankar Balakrishnan
MBBS, MD, DM, FINR
Neurology, Neuroscience, Rela Centre For Mobility & Movement
Clinical LeadBook an Appointment
Dr. Shankar Balakrishnan is a young & dynamic Interventional Neurologist from Singara Chennai.
He’s a Pediatric and Adult Neurologist, Fellow in Endovascular Neuro- intervention, Movement-disorder Specialist, and Neuro-rehabilitation Specialist.
He’s the first Doctor in the Indian subcontinent to make paralyzed children walk with the help of a pacemaker for the spinal cord.
Seeing his exemplary skills, Chennai’s top medical facility helped him open up a centre for Rehabilitation which was inaugurated by the Chief Minister of Tamilnadu, Mr. M.K. Stalin.
He had built a team of 13 people from 7 different domains working under one roof. This is the first of its kind in-house rehabilitation team to be ever set up in south India.
His team’s work has been recognized and gained credibility in islands like Andaman & Nicobar, Seychelles, Maldives, Fiji & other parts of the world like UAE and Africa.
He’s proud to be known as the Youngest Endovascular Neuro Intervention Specialist to do the most complex cases for patients with brain and spine vascular disorders.
Specialist Interventional Neurologist with 8+ years of experience. Proficient in diagnostic cerebral angiograms, procedural angiograms, and diagnosis. Treated patients suffering from chronic neurological diseases.
Published three research papers at the international level and three at the national level. Conducted medical campus abroad and in India.
Awarded with the prestigious Prof. CUV Gold Medal for “All rounder Best Outgoing of The Year” and most admired and innovative Neurologist of the year 2022.
Highly motivated and enthusiastic team player ready to take up technical treatments, found in very few highly specialized centres worldwide.
- FINR FELLOWSHIP IN INTERVENTION NEURORADIOLOGY, UNIVERSITY OF ZURICH, SWITZERLAND, 2018.
- DM (NEUROLOGY), INSTITUTE OF NEUROLOGY, MADRAS MEDICAL COLLEGE, Dr. TAMIL NADU MGR MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI, INDIA, JULY 2015.
- MD (PAEDIATRICS), NHL Medical College, Gujarat University, Ahmedabad, India, 2010.
- MBBS, Stanley Medical College, Dr. M.G.R Medical University, Chennai, India, 2005.
Affiliations and Memberships
- Member of the American Academy of Neurology (AAN)
- Member of the International Movement Disorder Society (MDS)
- Member of the International Headache Society (HIS)
- Member of the Indian Academy of Neurology (IAN)
- Member of the Indian Association of Epilepsy (IAE)
- Member of STROKE AND NEUROINTERVENTION FOUNDATION (SNIF)
- Member of The European Society of Minimally Invasive Neurological Therapy (ESMINT)
- Member of International Neuromodulation Society (INS)
Awarded with the prestigious Prof. CUV Gold Medal for “All rounder Best Outgoing of The Year” in DM Neurology 2015.
Most admired and innovative Neurologist of the year 2022 by ICONIC HEALTHCARE SUMMIT AND AWARDS 2022.
Co-authored a review article “NEURO-OPHTHALMOLOGY”, Supranuclear Pathway chapter. That was published in NEUROLOGY INDIA, November 2015, special edition.
Consultant Neurologist & Interventional Neurologist
- Narasimhan, Srimathy & Mohandas, Prithvi & Balakrishnan, Shankar. (2020). Polyneuritis Cranialis in Covid-19. International Journal of medical science and health research, Vol4.No.6, 2020 73-81.
- Gastroparesis Following An Isolated Cerebellar Infarct: Case Report SN Comprehensive Clinical Medicine.
- AMERICAN ACADEMY OF NEUROLOGY ANNUAL MEETING 2015, WASHINGTON DC. A. Novel approaches to Clinico-Neuroradiological correlation and prognostication in cerebral venous sinus thrombosis.
- 17TH CONGRESS OF INTERNATIONAL HEADACHE SOCIETY, MAY 2015, VALENCIA, SPAIN. A. Migrainous retinopathy: reduced RNFL thickness in patients with migraine.
- 10th WORLD STROKE CONGRESS OCTOBER 2016, HYDERABAD, INDIA A. Clinical profile and outcomes in brainstem stroke- A retrospective study.
- Mechanisms, actions, and new paradigms: spinal cord stimulation for pain management, Ecronicon. Volume 13 Issue 2 – 2021.
Co-author in National Papers
- Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology Year: 2020 | Volume: 23 | Issue:8| Page: 176-177 Aboulia: Where there is a will, there is a way.
- INDIAN ACADEMY OF NEUROLOGY, ANNUAL MEETING 2013 A. Case report of GBS overlap miller fisher variant with Wernicke’s encephalopathy.
- INDIAN ACADEMY OF NEUROLOGY, ANNUAL MEETING 2014 A. Case report of the vertically oriented hippocampus.
- INDIAN ACADEMY OF NEUROLOGY, ANNUAL MEETING 2015 A.Case series of HD-HA Syndrome.
Presented papers effectively as a FIRST AUTHOR in the following international and national conferences.
- American Academy OF Neurology Annual Meeting 2015, Washington DC a. Fdg- PET AS A RADIOLOGICAL BIOMARKER IN TAKAYASU ARTERITIS.
- Myocon Paediatric International Conference 2014, Chennai, India a. CASE REPORT OF DISTAL ONSET MYOPATHY.
- XXII World Congress Of Neurology (WCN 2015) Santiago, Chile, October 2015 a. STUDY ON CLINICAL AND MRI AND BIOPSY CORRELATION IN INHERITED MUSCLE DISEASE
- Indian Academy of Neurology, annual meeting 2013 a. CASE REPORT OF FAMILIAL MYASTHENIA WITH VARYING SPECTRUM
- Indian Academy of Neurology, annual meeting 2014 a. A STUDY ON PREVALENCE OF VISION LOSS DUETTO NEUROLOGICAL CAUSE IN A TERTIARY HOSPITAL, SOUTH INDIA.
- ECON 2015 a. CASE SERIES OF SUPER-REFRACTORY STATUS EPILEPTICUS AND OUTCOME.
Consultant Neurologist & Interventional Neurologist
MIOT INTERNATIONAL HOSPITALS, CHENNAI May 2016 till date
- Performed 500 beyond diagnostic cerebral angiograms.
- Managed acute stroke by using IV/IA Thrombolysis.
- Successfully and efficiently performed procedural angiograms (over 200 procedures).
- Flow diversion,
- Coiling – stent/balloon-assisted coiling.
- Embolization of tumors & Aerterio Venous Malformation.
- Mechanical Thrombectomy for acute CVA, CVT.
- Intra Cranial & Extra cranial stenting & Angioplasty.
- RF Ablation for radicular pain & trigeminal neuralgia.
Successfully conducted DEEP BRAIN STIMULATION (DBS) for Parkinson’s disease of 35+ patients.
Effectively led a team for the groundbreaking procedure for paraplegia “First successful Epidural Electrical Stimulation for Paraplegia”. It brought innovations in Neurology and became the FIRST CENTRE IN SOUTH INDIA, which led to remarkable outcomes with persistence and dedication of a team.
Apomorphine Pumpor for Advanced Parkinson’s Disease.
Intrathecal Baclofen pump for spasticity Management.
- Mapped out and Neuromodulation of DBS, EES, and Sacral Neuromodulation.
- Adroit at diagnosis. Excelled in the management of stroke, neurodegenerative disorders, neuromuscular diseases, epilepsy, and spinal cord diseases.
- Proficient in dealing with emergencies and making split-second decisions to alleviate patients suffering from neurological diseases.
SRM Institute of Medical Sciences September 2015 to May 2016.