Colostrum: Super food for your newborn baby
August 7, 2020
You can begin feeding your baby within minutes after delivery. The first secretion that comes immediately after birth is not milk, but colostrum. This is a sticky yellow fluid that is a superfood, which promotes growth and provides protection for the newborn.
Colostrum should be the first food for newborns.
Colostrum is the first milk you produce for 2- 5 days after birth. Colostrum contains everything your baby needs to adjust from life in the womb to life in the outside world. It is beneficial for all infants, especially for pre-term babies.A few teaspoons of colostrum per day is enough for your baby initially as a newborn’s stomach is tiny, so the little colostrum you make is enough during the first few days. Your baby’s stomach grows constantly and, in a few days will be stretched enough to accommodate milk at every feed. After this period, you will produce transitional milk that is a mix of colostrum and milk, which prepares your baby for the more mature milk.
Benefits of colostrum for babies
- Provides complete nutrition in an easily digestible form
- Contains the high levels of protein, salts, fats and vitamins
- Protects against low blood sugar in infants
- Colostrum contains antibodies and white blood cells which boosts baby’s immune system
- Creates a coating on baby’s stomach and intestines to prevent infection
- Acts as a laxative and helps baby clean out the digestive tract
- Helps baby eliminate harmful waste products and prevents jaundice
- Provides the right nutrients for the proper development of eyes and heart
You don’t have to worry whether you are producing enough colostrum
Your baby’s stomach is only the size of a marble at birth. If you are feeding your baby at least 8 times a day and if your baby is wetting at least 6 diapers a day, then you and your baby are doing well. Remember the more your baby feeds off you, the more milk you will produce. So, feed your baby on demand and you both will be fine.
If you require any early assistance, consult our lactation experts. Rela Hospital is a certified baby friendly hospital. We ensure that your baby gets the first feed within an hour of birth. We help you and your baby establish the best breastfeeding habits from right latching to right burping. Contact us for any support and guidance.