Breast Cancer Is The Easiest Cancer To Cure If Detected Early
October 19, 2020
Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women and leading to a great number of cancer deaths among women. But it is also one of the easiest cancers to treat if detected early.
Career woman or housewife, you are always busy. In the mad rush to get your work done, you forget to take care of your body. A breast cancer, though easy to detect, is often missed. There may be a slight discomfort in one breast, but you overlook it as an insect bite or some such insignificant thing. It is only when the problem becomes bigger that you take a closer at your breast.
A persistent discomfort may make you examine your breast to find the source of the problem. If you find the following symptoms, you could have breast cancer.
Symptoms of breast cancer include:
- A lump in the breast or underarm (not all lumps are cancer, commonest lumps are benign condition called fibro adenoma
- Changes in breast texture including dimpling of skin
- Change in breast size and shape
- Redness/ flaking/ crusting/ pain/ pulling in of the nipple area
- Nipple discharge
- Pain or discomfort in the breast
These symptoms can be due to breast cancer or some other problem. To diagnose the cause and get treatment, you should visit your doctor immediately. A biopsy of the lump is the conclusive test for breast cancer.
Once diagnosed, treatment for breast cancer should start immediately.
Treatment options for breast cancer include:
- Chemotherapy or drug therapy, which will target the fast dividing cancer cells
- Target agents: These drugs act at specific cancer proteins to control cancer. These drugs are easily tolerable to the patients. They have improved the quality and quantity of life of patients
- Onco –surgery to either remove the breast completely, (Radical mastectomy), or remove the lump and lymph nodes, (conservative mastectomy,) while leaving the majority part of the breast intact
- Radiation therapy in which radiation is used to kill the cancer cells
Depending on the type of breast cancer and its stage, you will be treated with either one or a combination of therapies.
Breast cancer is the easiest cancer to treat.
If you detect breast cancer early and it is localized in a lump in one breast, then the treatment will be very effective. If the cancer has spread to other parts of the body, then the treatment becomes complicated and will have to target all cancerous cells in all parts.
So, the trick is to catch the cancer early and treat it effectively
If you are over 40 or have a family history of breast cancer, you should take extra care. Do a breast examination regularly. Watch out for the signs and symptoms of breast cancer. Get a mammogram once a year. A mammogram detects lumps very early, much earlier than you can feel them. Have a balanced diet, exercise regularly and avoid smoking. Simple precautions can go a long way in reducing your risk of breast cancer.
Take home message: Early breast cancer is curable
For comprehensive breast cancer treatment, consult our experts. For a mammogram appointment, please call: +919384681770