Dr. G. Umesh
MBBS, M.D.(Psychiatry), F.C.S.M (Fellowship Certificate in Sexual Medicine)
Psychiatry and Psychotherapy
Visiting ConsultantBook an Appointment
- Work directly with patients suffering from a range of mental health problems and provide a good standard of practice and care.
- Assess patients by reviewing their mental and physical health, their background and current social situation, thoughts and past health issues, as well as potential risk factors.
- Take notes and keep detailed records of any interactions and decisions
- Decide on suitable psychiatric treatment plans for patients, which often includes a mix of psychological, medical and social interventions in conjunction with other health professionals
- Prescribes medication when necessary
- Monitor and review treatment regularly
- Have excellent knowledge of physiology, anatomy, psychology, pharmacology and mental health law, as well as an awareness of social factors that influence mental health
- Work closely within, or lead, a multidisciplinary team of health professionals, including psychiatric nurses, psychologists and occupational therapists
- Awarded Fellowship Certificate in Sexual Medicine on 10th Nov 2018, in the 10th Convocation of IMA CGP-TNSB
- Done a research work on “Perceived Stigma and Caregiver Burden in Family Members of Patients with Mental Illness” during the period Jan 2014- Sep 2015
- Attended the revised basic course workshop from 18th to 20th Jan 2018 & Attitude and Communication (AT-COM) module sensitization programme on 21st Jan 2018 conducted by Medical Education Unit, Sri Ramachandra Medical College & Research Institute, Nodal Centre, Porur, Chennai
- Participated in the Dissemination Program for ICMR National Ethical Guidelines 2017 conducted at Sri Ramachandra Medical College And Research Institute, Porur, Chennai
- Undergone Basic Life Support training (Basic Cardio Pulmunary Resuscitation) from Prims Hospital, Manamai, ECR, Chennai on 23/01/2018
- Presented the paper titled “Psychiatric co-morbidity in patients with Cancer Cervix” in 30th Annual Conference of IPS Tamil Nadu State Branch (TANPSYCON 2015) held in Kanchipuram.
- Presented a poster titled “Retrospective study of illness variables of a Culture Bound Syndrome (DHAT syndrome)” In the World Psychiatric Association (WPA) Regional congress at Kochi, September 25-27, 2015
- Has contributed a paper as co-author to Global journal for research analysis (International) Title- “Caregiver burden in family members of patients with mental illness” and has got published in volume 05, issue 06, June 2016.
Management and treatment of
- All kinds of psychiatric disorders both in adult and child population
- More experienced in handling mood disorders (bipolar, depression) schizophrenia, anxiety disorders, obsessive compulsive disorders (OCD) personality disorders, somatoform disorders, eating disorders and any other psychosis
- De-addiction treatment (alcohol, nicotine and other substances) including motivation enhancement therapy and relapse prevention.
- Sleep disorders
- Psychosexual disorders (loss of sexual desire, sexual aversion and lack of sexual enjoyment, failure of genital response (male erectile dysfunction, psychogenic impotence), orgasmic dysfunction, premature ejaculation, nonorganic vaginismus and dyspareunia, excessive sexual drive)
- Psychotherapeutic techniques especially cognitive behavioural therapy, dialectical behaviour therapy and supportive therapy, family therapy, marital therapy and couple therapy (sex counselling).
- Child and adolescent psychiatry (ADHD, autism, poor scholastic performance and behavioural problems)
- Geriatric psychiatry (Depression, Delirium and Dementia)
- Consultation- Liaison Psychiatry
- Community Psychiatry
- Brain Stimulation Techniques like Electro Convulsive Therapy, Trans Cranial Magnetic Stimulation and Trans Cranial Direct Current Stimulation.
- Post Graduate in Psychiatry, Meenakshi Medical College Hospital and Research Institute, Tamil Nadu, India
- Completed Intensive Training Programme in NIMHANS (National Institute of Mental Health and Neuroscience) – Bangalore During Post Graduate period under respective departments
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (CAP)
- De-addiction Psychiatry
- Forensic Psychiatry
- Clinical Neurology
- Academic setup – Experienced as an Assistant Professor of Psychiatry in Private Medical College – Tamil Nadu, India – (3 Years)