Paediatric Metabolic Liver Disease
July 23, 2019
Paediatric Metabolic Liver Disease is a childhood disorder in which abnormal chemical reactions in the body cause the metabolism to be disrupted. As a result, either the body has too much or too little of vital substances to remain healthy.
Several types of metabolic liver disease disturb children’s metabolism, such as:
- Crigler-Najjar Syndrome: This is a rare congenital disorder that affects bilirubin metabolism, a chemical that is formed when the heme in red blood cells breaks down.
- Dubin-Johnson Syndrome: Here, the child suffers from jaundice and can sometimes be accompanied by mild stomach ache, weakness, vomiting and nausea.
- Gilbert’s Disease: This liver condition is harmless. Here, the liver cannot process bilirubin efficiently.
- Hemochromatosis: This is a disorder in which the body has a lot of iron build-up, often called “iron overload.” Here, the body absorbs too much iron from foods eaten but cannot get rid of it.
- Wilson’s Disease: In this condition, the body builds up copper reserves. Its symptoms are related to the liver and brain. In the liver, this disease causes weakness, swollen legs, yellow skin, body itch, vomiting and oedema in the stomach.
The symptoms of this condition vary depending on the kind of disease, but their symptoms generally include:
- Bruising easily
- Stomach ache
To diagnose this condition among children, the paediatrician will ask to see his medical history and then conduct a physical exam. He may also do the following tests:
- Blood tests
- Liver biopsy
The type of metabolic liver disease the child suffers from will shape his treatment. Your doctor will recommend these forms of treatment:
- Food intake that lowers the amount of iron and copper
- Medications that release excess and unwanted substances from the organs and release it into the bloodstream for easy elimination from the body
- Drawing of blood to remove excess substances from the blood
- Phototherapy for bilirubin reduction in the body
- Liver transplant
Why Rela Hospital
No one likes to see babies in pain and crying. Neither do we at the Dr Rela Hospital, Chennai. As specialists in paediatric diseases, we know the trauma infants undergo when they suffer from rare and painful diseases. Hence, the setting up of this hospital, dedicated to easing the pain and suffering of anyone with liver disease.
Today, for our painstaking nature and excellent results, we are also known as The Paediatric Liver Treatment Hospital in Chennai that anyone can bank on. It’s a nice feeling to know that we are appreciated, but we don’t rest on our laurels.
Instead, this has only raised the bar for us and now, with constantly improving state of the art technology, cutting edge techniques and modern-day equipment, we forge ahead, determined to bring relief and gurgling laughter to children with the pain and discomfort of liver disease.
Our teams of internationally trained liver specialists are guided by the world-renowned founder of our hospital, Dr Rela, and a highly-acclaimed Paediatric Liver Specialist in India. With his support, we are guided to give of our best, time after time, and to make our hospital the best centre for Paediatric Metabolic Liver Disease Treatment Hospital in India.
Apart from this, we also treat infant patients who require Paediatric Liver Transplantation Hospital in Chennai and bring them to good health.
To know more about us, call us on +91 9384681770