Liver Transplant: An Answer To Cancer?
October 13, 2019
In liver cancer patients, when tumours cannot be surgically removed, liver transplantation is the best possible option. With this procedure, the cancerous liver can be replaced with a healthy one. However, liver transplantation is not easy as there is a long waiting list for healthy livers.
In order to be eligible for transplantation, doctors are required to follow a set of rules called the Milan criteria, which decides who is a candidate for successful liver transplantation for liver cancer. Milan criteria states that transplantation is limited on the size of the tumour, for example:
- If there is only one tumour, it should be 5 cm or less.
- If there are multiple tumours in the liver, there can be a maximum of three, and the largest must be 3 cm or less.
- In addition to meeting these criteria, patients with liver cancer must not have any spread of the cancer outside of the liver for transplantation to be effective.
As transplantation for primary liver cancer has become more common, some hospitals are expanding their criteria for offering this procedure.
Although there are some risks involved with the surgical removal of cancerous liver as well as transplantation such as:
- The new organ being rejected by the body’s immune system
- Liver cancer returning
- Reactions to the medications needed after the transplantation
- Increased bleeding or difficulty clotting
- Reaction to aesthetic during surgery
The odds of a successful liver transplantation are very high. Patients are leading a very healthy life after removal of cancerous liver and transplantation of a new one. It is important that patients take post-operative care seriously and try live a healthy, balanced life to ensure healthy function of liver.
ALWAYS Rela Hospital
Rela Hospital , one of the pioneer institutions for liver transplantation in Chennai as well as one of the top liver transplant hospitals in India, is always looking for new ways to help liver cancer patients. We have one of the most renowned liver oncologists in India. We are also known to be the best hospital for paediatric liver transplantation in India. Our department is known for outstanding outcomes and for helping pioneer techniques to make transplantation safer and more successful. Each treatment team at Rela Hospital includes surgeons, hepatologists, nurses, and dietitians. We are one step ahead from the rest and always there for our patients.