Ms. Srimathy Narasimhan
Centre For Hearing, Communication & Swallow Sciences, Institute of Neuroscience, Rela Centre For Mobility & Movement
Head – Center for Hearing, Communication & Swallow SciencesBook an Appointment
Ms. Srimathy Narasimhan is the Head of the Department at Center for Hearing, Communication & Swallow Sciences at our hospital.
Ms. Srimathy Narasimhan is a renowned Speech, Swallow & Hearing Specialist in Chennai with outstanding academic records from pioneering institutions. As a zealous & adept professional working in the highly specialized field of disorders related to speech, swallow voice, cognition, & hearing, she has immense knowledge and vast experience in diagnosing & treating disorders across age groups (new born to geriatric) & of various origin
She was the first Speech Language Pathologist to initiate & successfully run programs to assess swallowing using state of the art technology in Chennai city.
She has established Neuromodulation as a speciality & is a key member in candidacy evaluation, delivery of Neuromodulation as a treatment for Hearing loss, Spinal Cord Injury, Bladder & Bowel Dysfunction, Spasticity & Movement disorders.
- Bachelors in Speech Language Pathology & Audiology, 2011, Bangalore University
- Masters in Audiology & Speech Language Pathology, 2014, The Tamil Nadu MGR Medical University
- Certification in Deglutology, ESSD, 2019
- Langmore FEES Certification, 2019
- Regaining control of movement following a spinal cord injury using Epidural Electrical Stimulation coupled with Task Specific Training (P18-6.005), 2022
S NARASIMHAN, S BALAKRISHNAN
Neurology 98 (18 Supplement)
- Gastroparesis Following an Isolated Cerebellar Infarct: Case Report
S Narasimhan, S Balakrishnan, P Chandra
SN Comprehensive Clinical Medicine 3 (7), 1641-1644, 2021
- Polyneuritis Cranialis in CoVID-19
S Narasimhan, S Balakrishnan, P Mohandas
The International Journal of Medical Science and Health Research 4 (06), 73-81, 2020
- Aboulia: Where there is a will there is a way
S Narasimhan, S Balakrishnan
Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology 23 (Suppl 2), S176, 2020
- Pattern analysis of FDG pet in atypical parkinsonism-An innovative approach
S Balakrishnan, S Narasimhan, P Chandra
Journal of the Neurological Sciences 405, 88-89, 2019
Ms. Srimathy Narasimhan has over 9 years of experience in the field of Speech Language Pathology & Deglutology. She is specialized in treating disorders of swallowing post stroke, Parkinson’s disease, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Traumatic head injuries, Brain tumor, Head & Neck Cancers, Neonatal & paediatric feeding disorders with the use of sophisticated methods. Being a Trained Carnatic Vocalist and with a special interest in Vocology, she has trained several professional singers & singing students on voice projection, voice culture and voice modulation.
As a Cognitive Communication specialist Ms. Narasimhan is involved in evaluation & treatment of disorders related to memory and communication such as Alzheimer’s Disease, Fronto-Temporal Dementia, Vascular Dementia, Parkinson’s Disease Dementia. She is an avid researcher in the area of Neuro imaging in identifying the cognitive, language & swallowing networks in neurodegenerative diseases.
She has vast experience with hearing implants including Cochlear Implants & Auditory Brainstem Implants.
Neuromodulation, being one of the emerging fields in India, she is a key member in Neuromodulation team & has framed mapping & rehabilitation protocols people undergoing Cochlear Implants, Deep Brain Stimulation for Parkinsons Disease, sacral neuromodulation for bladder and bowel incontinence and Epidural Electrical Stimulation for Paraplegia.
She is a primary member of the Epilepsy and brain tumour intraoperative team & has immense experience in Language mapping & monitoring during awake surgeries for epilepsy & brain tumour removal. She is a key multidisciplinary member of Neurosciences, Oncology boards.
- An active professional involved in advocacy for rehabilitation in the city & across the nation
- Conducted workshops on “Neuroimaging” and its importance for SLPs at Post graduate levels & for professionals at National level.
- Established a Multidisciplinary Rehabilitation centre at a quaternary care hospital in Chennai city.