Dr. Vidyalakshmi Devarajan
DNB (Gen Med) FNB (ID) Fellowship (ID) SCE (UK)
Senior Consultant Infectious DiseasesBook an Appointment
- 1997 -2003 MBBS from Rajiv Gandhi University, Karnataka
- 2006 – 2009 DNB (Internal Medicine), Apollo Hospitals, Chennai
- 2010 – 2012 Fellowship in Infectious Diseases, MGR University, Chennai
- 2010 – 2012 Fellow of National Board -Infectious diseases (Apollo Hospitals,Chennai) from Diplomate of National Board 2013,Delhi
- 2013 Specialty Certificate Examination in Infectious Diseases from Royal College Of Physicians of United Kingdom
- Sep ’12 to Oct ’12 Observership in Infectious Diseases at Wayne State university and Henry Ford Hospital- Detroit
- Ghafur A, Devarajan Vidya, Raja T, Easow J, Raja MA, Sreenivas S, et al. Monotherapy versus combination therapy against nonbacteremic carbapenem-resistant gram-negative infections: A retrospective observational study. Indian J Crit Care Med 2017;21:825-9.
- Nitin Bansal, Vidya Devarajan, Abdul Ghafur K., Nandini Sethuraman & Lakshmi Sree V. (2017): Breakthrough Saprochaete Capitata infections among patients with hematological malignancies, Leukemia & Lymphoma. https://doi.org/10.1080/10428194.2017.1402306
- Arjun R, Ghafur A, Devarajan Vidya, Senthur Nambi P, Ramasubramanian V, Suresh Kumar D, Gopalakrishnan R. A cluster of cases of melioidosis following floods in Chennai, India. J Contemp Clin Pract. 2017;3(2):50-56. doi: 10.18683/jccp.2017.1024.
- Ghafur A, Gohel S, Devarajan V, Raja T, Easow J, Raja MA, et al. Colistin nephrotoxicity in adults: Single centre large series from India. Indian J Crit Care Med 2017;21:350-4.
- Ghafur A, Devarajan V, Raja T, Easow J, Raja M, Sreenivas S, et al. Monotherapy versus combination therapy against carbapenem-resistant Gram-negative bacteria: A retrospective observational study. Indian J Cancer 2016;53:592-4.
- Ghafur A, Devarajan V, Raj R, Easow J, Raja T. Spectrum of bacteremia in posthematopoietic stem cell transplant patients from an Indian center. Indian J Cancer 2016;53:590-1.
- Abdul Ghafur, Swati Gohel, Vidyalakshmi PR, Revathy Raj. A Retrospective Study on Colistin Nephrotoxicityin Pediatric Onco-hematology Patients.J Pediatr Infect SensDitiviisty: Internal & Re2str0ic1ted5; 10(04): 103-107 DOI: 10.1055/s-0036-1584524
- Laxman G. Jessani, Vidyalakshmi Devarajan and Abdul Ghafur, A Study on Comparative In Vitro Activity of Carbapenem Sparers Against Extended- Spectrum Beta Lactamase–Producing Enterobacteriaceae. Infectious Diseases in Clinical Practice • Volume 00, Number 00, Month 2016
- Indira B. Poojary, Vikash Agarwal, Vidyalakshmi, Priyadarshini Kannaian,Thirunarayan M. A, and Abdul K. Ghafur. A Rare Case of Meningitis Secondary to Hemorrhoids Caused by Streptococcus gallolyticus subsp gallolyticus. Infect Dis Clin Pract 2015;00: 00–00
- Abdul Ghafur K, Vidyalakshmi PR, Jayalakshmi VA1, Poojary I. Susceptibility profile of Gram‑negative bacteremic isolates to beta lactam‑beta lactamase inhibitor agents in comparison to other antibiotics. Indian Journal of Cancer 2014: 51(4):450-452 (published in 2016)
- Ghafur AK, Vidyalakshmi PR, Kannaian P, Balasubramaniam R.Clinical study of carbapenem sensitive and resistant Gram‑negative bacteremia in neutropenic and nonneutropenic patients: The first series from India. Indian Journal of Cancer 2014;51(4): 453-455(published in 2016)
- P.R. Vidyalakshmi, K. Abdul Ghafur, Swati Gohel, and M.A. Thirunarayan. Fosfomycin, a Promising Option in the Era of NDM. Susceptibility Data With a Discussion on Its Role in Indian Scenario. Infectious Diseases in Clinical Practice • Jan 2016:24(1):35-38 doi: 10.1097/IPC.0000000000000313
- Ravikant Porwal, Abdul Ghafur, Vidyalakshmi P. R. Priyadarshini Kannaian,Pradeepa Arivazhaghan. Neurosurgical Meningitis: Clinico- Microbiological Profile and Treatment Outcome from a Tertiary Care Center in India. Indian Journal of Neurosurgery 2015;4: Vol. 4 No. 1/2015. DOI http://dx.doi.org/10.1055/s-0035-1549112.
- P.R. Vidyalakshmi, Alagesan Murali, Abdul Ghafur, Ann Kurien, and C. Rayappa. Hydatid Cyst of the Submandibular Gland. Infectious Diseases in Clinical Practice: November 2014 – Volume 22 – Issue 6 – p 368–370 doi: 10.1097/IPC.0000000000000201
- Abdul Ghafur, Vidyalakshmi PR, A Murali, Priyadarshini K, Thirunarayan MA. Emergence of Pan-drug resistance amongst gram negative bacteria! The First case series from India. JMID. 2014; 4 (3): 86-91.
- Abdul Ghafur, P. R. Vidyalakshmi, K. Priyadarshini, Jose M. Easow, Revathi Raj, T. Raja. Elizabethkingia meningoseptica bacteremia in immunocompromised hosts: The first case series from India.SAJC 2013;2(4):211-15.
- A Ghafur , PS Sharee, Nambi P Senthur Vidya Devarajan . Mucormycosis in Patients without Cancer: A Case Series from A Tertiary Care Hospital in South India.JAPI 2013 ; 61: 305-8
- A Ghafur , PS Sharee, Nambi P Senthur Vidya Devarajan. Mucormycosis in Patients without Cancer: A Case Series from A Tertiary Care Hospital in South India.JAPI 2013 ; 61: 305-8
- Scrub Typhus in Hospitalized Children A Missed Entity Vidyalakshmi Devarajan, P. Senthur Nambi, Ram Gopalakrishnan, and Alagesan Murali,, Infectious Diseases in Clinical Practice-Published online Ahead of print 2014
- Salmonella myocarditis presenting as Myocardial Infarction- Indian Heart journal 2008 – Vidyalakshmi, I Sathyamoorthy, Jayanthi
- A Ghafur,Vidyalakshmi,Sureshkumar.Implementing antibiotic policy in Indian Hopsitals.Conference update,HISICON 2013 Mumbai
- A Ghafur,Vidyalakshmi,Priyadarshini .A Road map to tackle the challenge of Antimicrobial resistance-APICON update 2013
- Vidyalakshmi PR, Gopalakrishnan R, Ramasubramanian V, Ghafur KA, Nambi PS, Thirunarayana MA. Clinical, epidemiological, and microbiological profile of patients with vancomycin- resistant Enterococci from a Tertiary Care Hospital. J Global Infect Dis 2012;4:137-8
- Indian Journal of Clinical Practice – Infrapulmonic effusion-2008 Vidyalakshmi, Ananthasubramaniam.
- Vitamin D levels in software engineers – Indian journal of Clinincal Practice-2007 Vidyalakshmi, C. Vijayakumar
- Dr.Pratik Y.Patil, Dr. PR Vidyalakshmi, Dr. Abdul Ghafur. Awareness on Factors Contributing to Antimicrobial Resistance Crisis from a Developing Country Perspective CIDSCON 2017
- Dr. Nitin Bansal, Dr. Vidya Devarajan, Dr. Abdul Ghafur K, Dr. Bala Vinoth R. Breakthrough Saprochaete capitata Infections among Patients with Hematological Malignancies. CIDSCON 2017
- Balavinoth Ramakrishnan, Abdul Ghafur, Vidya Devarajan, Vikash Agarwal, Lakshmi Sree V. Post Neurosurgical Meningitis Caused by Corynebacterium Striatum- A Case Report. CIDSCON 2017
- A Ghafur, PR Vidyalakshmi. Why Do Patients With Carbapenem Resistant Blood Stream Infections Have High Mortality? ASM Microbe 2017, New Orleans
- Dr. Patil Pratik Y, Dr. Abdul Ghafur, Dr. Pr Vidyalakshmi. One size doesn’t fit all: Carbapenem MIC of XDR Gram negative bacteria may determine the outcome of Colistin- Carbapenem Combination Therapy. ASM Microbe 2017, New Orleans
- Rajalakshmi, A. Ghafur, D. Vidya, P. Senthur Nambi, V. Ramasubramaniam, D. Suresh Kumar, Ram Gopalakrishnan. A cluster of cases with melioidosis following Chennai floods.ICAAC 2016. Boston
- P.Vishnu Rao.Abdul Ghafur, Vidya Devarajan, Kogila jayakumar,Chandra Karuppaswamy. Perioperative Antibiotic Prophylaxis:Longer is not always better. CIDSCON 2016.# P16
- Abdul Ghafur,Vidyalakshmi P R. Colistin nephrotoxicity: not as high as we fear!l ASM Microbe(ICAAC) Boston 2016,Poster Number-429
- Abdul Ghafur,Vidyalakshmi P R Rajalakshmi A,Revathy Raj, Chandra R ,Anil Tarigopula. Role of Detection of Stool CRE colonization in Indian Scenario-Search and Thou shall find. ASM Microbe(ICAAC) Boston,2016 Control#4110
- Abdul Ghafur,Vidyalakshmi P R, Srividya,Kokila, Chandra. Monotherapy vs Combination Therapy for Carbapenem Resistsnt Nonfermentor Bacteremias-A puzzle to solve. CIDSCON 2016. Poster no 30
- Abdul Ghafur, Vidyalakshmi Devarajan , Srividya,Kokila,Chandra. Freedom or Rationality – The Antibiotic Stewardship Paradox. CIDSCON 2016. Poster !30
- Abdul Ghafur, Vidyalakshmi Devarajan, Chandra, Kokila, Jothysara. Lead by example and learn from our nurses- CIDSCON 2016. Poster 129
- Abdul Ghafur, Vidyalakshmi Devarajan, Evita Jose. Economic cost of combination therapy to treat XDR Gram-negatives: a knockout blow to the developing world! P0591, ECCMID, Amsterdam,April 2016.
- Attitude is a little thing which makes a big difference – KAP on isolation practices amongst visitors Dr. Swati Gohel, Dr. Vidyalakshmi P R, Dr. Abdul Ghafur, K.Chandra, Koggila J, Jothy Sara Infectious Disease dept, **Resiident,Critcal care unit, Apollo Speciality Hospital, Chennai.
- Post discharge calls to track Surgical Site Infection: How many more can we catch? Dr Abdul Ghafur, Dr Vidyalakshmi,Nanthini, Kogila,Chandra. ICAAC 2015.
- Old Wine For A New Bottle-Susceptibility And The Role Of Minocycline In Carbapenem Resistant Gram Negatives. Abdul Ghafur,Vidyalakshmi ,Evita Joseph, Rekha, Indira Poojary Apollo Speciality Hospitals,Chennai Poster Number174,CIDSCON 2015
- Familiarity Breeds Contempt- Colistin Preexposure and Resistance AbdulGhafur, SwatiGohel, Vidyalakshmi,CIDSCON 2015
- Monotherapy versus combination therapy against XDR Gram negatives: An unresolved conundrum! DrAbdulGhafur, DrVidyalakshmi, Karthik,Veena,Evita, Balasubramanian Control no 2291,ICAAC 2015,Sandiego
- A Glimpse into bacterial behaviour in the era of NDM1- ISAAR 2015,Incheon K Abdul Ghafur, P RVidya , K Chandra ,Rekha, B Indra ,MA Thirunarayan
- Bench and save carbapenems! Dr A Ghafur ,Dr P R Vidyalakshmi , V A Jayalakshmi,Dr I Poojary –ISAAR 2015,Incheon
- KNOWLEDGE AND PRACTICE OF INFECTION CONTROL-IN THE NDM1 ERA-Abdul Ghafur,Vidyalakshmi Chandra,kogila- for ICPIC Geneva 2015
- TOO MANY TOO SOON-FEVER FOLLOWING PET CT Abdul Ghafur, Vidyalakshmi Chandra, Kogila, Indra – ICPIC 2015 Geneva
- Diarrhea in a post heart transplant patient: Challenging as always. Dr. Rohit, Dr. Vidya Devarajan, Dr. Murali Krishna, Dr. Suresh Rao, Dr. K.R. Bala Krishnan, Fortis Malar hospital, Chennai ,IACTA
- Attitude is a little thing which makes a big difference – KAP on isolation practices amongst visitorsDr. SWATI GOHEL****, Dr. VIDYALAKSHMI P R***, Dr. Abdul Ghafur*, K.Chandra**, Koggila J**, Jothy Sara** Infectious Disease dept, **Resiident,Critcal care unit, Apollo Speciality Hospital, Chennai.
- Economic cost of combination therapy to treat XDR Gram-negatives: a knockout blow to the developing world! Abstract Authors: A. Ghafur, Vidya Devarajan, E. Jose ECCMID 2016,Amsterdam
- Ghafur, Vidya Devarajan, R. Chandra, S. Bharadwaj R433 ,ECCMID 2014 Smart tactics can keep smarter bugs at bay!
- Surveillance of Fungemia including Anti fungal Susceptibility from an Oncology and Bone marrow transplant centre in South India”.A Ghafur,Vidyalakshmi,Chandra,Thirunarayana,ICAAC 2014,Control No 2435
- Beta lactam,Beta- lactam Inhibitors-Ideal Carbapenam Sparers.Dr Abdul Ghafur,Dr Vidyalakshmi,Dr Priya.ICAAC 2014,Washington2014,K 1023
- ROLE OF COLISITN SPARERS IN IMPENDING PAN DRUG RESISTANCE ERA–SUSCEPTIBILITY PATTERN OF CARBAPENEM RESISTANT GRAM NEGATIVE BACTERIAL ISOLATES IN BLOOD . Dr Abdul Ghafur,Dr Vidyalakshmi,Dr Sheela N,Debashree,Dr Indra P,CIDSCON 2014
- NEUROSURGICAL MENINGITIS:CLINICO-MICROBIOLOGICAL PROFILE AND OUTCOME FROM A TERTIARY CARE CENTRE IN INDIA Dr Ravikant, Dr Vidya PR, Dr Abdul Ghafur,Dr Priyadarshini,CIDSCON 2014
- Spectrum of bacteremia in bone marrow transplant patients from a tertiary care hospital in India ,Abdul Ghafur, Vidya P R,Chandra K,Kokila, Vasant Nagvekar,ICHS 2014,Berlin
- Know thy enemy- -Microbiological profile of CRBSI from a tertiary care oncology centre – A 3 year analysis P1 Dr Abdul Ghafur*,Dr Vidyalakshmi,Kogila,Chandra.PHOCON 2014
- Haemorrhoids ansd Meningitis –A rare Patnership Dr Abdul Ghafur,Dr Vidya ,Dr Vikash,Dr Indra-Oral Presentation- BO69,MICROCON 2014,Jaipur
- Tricking the bugs in the era of NDM1 –Hand Hygiene matters Dr Abdul Ghafur,Vidyalakshmi,Hema,Chandra,Microcon 2014,Jaipur,H1P1
- The Devil and His advocate-CMV pneumonia with Invasive aspergillosis Dr Abdul Ghafur,Dr Vidyalakshmi, 5996,World Congress of Medicine, 2014 Seoul
- Successful implementation of an infection control programme in a tertiary care oncology centre from a developing country.P262. ICPIC June2013.Geneva Abdul Ghafur, Vidyalakshmi PR, Chandra K 37)Increasing needle stick injuries amongst the radiology team- needs attention! P297. ICPIC June2013.Geneva A Ghafur,Vidyalakshmi,Chandra,Sahaya,Priyadharshini.
- Call for joint effort to tackle Gram negative resisitance. Tsunami cant be blocked with a barricade Paper no 121 ISAAR, Kuala Lumpur,9th-13March 2013. Abdul Ghafur, Vidyalakshmi P R,Ashwini,Chandra,Pushparaju .
- Anunsual case of SBP in a Cirrhotic-The first case reported from India.Paper No 270,ISAAR, Kuala Lumpur,9th-13March 2013 Vidyalakshmi,Ravikant,Abdul Ghafur,Thirunarayan MA,Murugan.
- CLINICAL PROFILE OF CARBAPENEM RESISTANT BACTERAEMIA AMONG PAEDIATRIC POPULATION- FIRST CLINICAL STUDY FROM INDIA”.A-534-0002-01455 entitled at the 31st Annual Meeting of the European Society for Paediatric Infectious Diseases. May 28- June 1 2013-Milan ,Italy Abdul Ghafur, Priyadarshini, Vidyalakshmi P R .
- Fosfomycin, A Promising Option In The Era Of NDM1- The First In Vitro Data From India. ICAAC September 2013, Abdul Ghafur,Vidyalakshmi P R,Priyadarshini,Thirunarayan M A.
- Abstract P-565: Malaria Guidelines In India: Is It In Paper Or In Practice?(slide presentation)ICAAC2012 Sureshkumar D, Abdul Ghafur K, Ramasubramanian V,Vidyalakshmi PR, Tayade A, Apollo
- Abstract P-564: Attitude of Doctors towards Infectious Disease Subspecialist – A Report from South India. (slide presentation)ICAAC2012 Senthur Nambi P, Gopalakrishnan R, Abdul Ghafur K, Vidyalakshmi PR, Tayade A, Ramasubramanian V.
- Melioidosis in India: Rare or Rarely Diagnosed?ICAAC 2012 Sureshkumar D, R. Gopalakrishnan, K. Abdul Ghafur, P. Vidyalakshmi PR, Tayade A. Abstract P-1004:
- Abstract K-236. Little steps towards Infection control: Where there is a will, there is a way; Even in the NDM-1 Era!! Ghafur.A, Vidyalakshmi P R, Chandra K, Anna Marie S, Shivaram Bharadwaj.
- The Sky’s the limit! (SELECTED FOR TRAVEL GRANT AS AMONG 10 BEST ABSTRACTS) Vidyalakshmi P R, Abdul Ghafur K, Gopalakrishnan R, Ramasubramanian V, Thirunarayanan MA. ABS117/12. Rising Carbapenem Resistance:CIDSCON 2012
- MUCORMYCOSIS IN PATIENTS WITHOUT CANCER: A CASE SERIES FROM A TERTIARY CARE HOSPITAL IN SOUTH INDIA.Ghafur A, Shareek PS, Senthur Nambi P, Vidyalakshmi PR, RamasubramanianV, Ashok Parameswaran, ThirunarayanMA, Gopalakrishnan R;P392,ISHAM 2012,Berlin,June 2012
- Elizabethkingia meningoseptica bacteremia in immunocompromised hosts: the first case series from India.Vidyalakshmi PR, Ghafur A, Revathy Raj, Jose Easow.ICHS 2012,Genova,Italy,June 2012
- Carbapenem resistance in blood culture isolates of E.coli and Klebsiella – a six year study from Chennai. Abstract No. 122 at 1st Global forum on Bacterial Infections, New Delhi, October 2011. Senthur Nambi P, Ramasubramanian V, Gopalakrishnan R, Abdul Ghafur, Vidyalakshmi, Thirunarayan M.A.
- Candidemia in a South Indian Tertiary Care Hospital: Analysis of Species and Sensitivity to Fluconazole. Abstract 13 at 1st Annual Conference of the Clinical Infectious Disease Society (CIDSCON), Hyderabad, August 13th and 14th, 2011 Nagvekar V, Ramasubramanian V, Gopalakrishnan R, Abdul Ghafur K, Vidyalakshmi PR
- Clinical and microbiological profile of patients with vancomycin resistant Enterococci from a tertiary care hospital. Abstract 14 at 1st Annual Conference of the Clinical Infectious Disease Society (CIDSCON), Hyderabad, August 13th and 14th, 2011 Vidyalakshmi PR, Senthur Nambi P, Gopalakrishnan R,Ramasubramanian V, Abdul Ghafur K, Thirunarayan MA
- Scrub typhus in hospitalized children: a missed entity-CIDSCON 2012 Vidyalakshmi P R, Gopalakrishnan R, Senthur Nambi Durairajan Sureshkumar Depatment of Infectious Diseases, Apollo Hospitals, Chennai
- A Ghafur,Vidyalakshmi,Sureshkumar.Implementing antibiotic policy in Indian Hopsitals.Conference update,HISICON 2013 Mumbai.
- A Ghafur,Vidyalakshmi,Priyadarshini .A Road map to tackle the challenge of Antimicrobial resistance-APICON update 2013
- Chapter on SSI-Apollo Surgical course update 2012\Dr Vidya,Dr Ram Gopalakrishnan Chapter on Cholera in the book on Disaster managent – Elseivers 2016 Clostridia chapter in API TEXT BOOK OF MEDICINE 2018
- Puzzling Cases in Pulmonary Medicine-Devil and his advocate:dual infection in an immunocompromised host ,page no 60 published in 2017.Tree Life Media –Dr Vidya Krishna,Dr Vidya Devarajan,Dr Abdul Ghafur
- Dr. V.R.Yamunadevi, Dr. Vidya Devarajan, Dr. Abdul Ghafur. National and International Initiatives to Tackle the Challenge ofAntimicrobial Resistance (AMR). Resistance to antibiotics, OMICS group ebooks, 2017. ISBN: 978-1-63278-076-8
- ID case scenarios in ER-Podicherry 2015
- Panelist-Cidscon 2016,Varanasi
- Nosocomial Infections-CMC vellore Nov 2016
- Community acquired infections-Missed-Star health insurance 2016
- Treatment of community acquired infections-IMA Kanchipuram Oct 2016
- Infections in heart and lung transplant recipients –Solid organ infection transplant workshop,Mumbai 2017
- Faculty Cidscon 2017,Nagpur-Challenging cases in ID
- PG CME on AMS at CMC Dec 2017
- C diff management. Panforic mumbai 2017
- Infection control conclave infection control in HSCT – Mumbai 2018
- Panelist Infection Control in Solid organ transplantation Mumbai 2018 in Infection control Conclave Wockhardt
- AIDC 2018 June on rabies
- Pulmonary infiltrates in solid organ transplant in SOTI Mumbai July 29th 2018
- Vaccination in Oncology and HSCT in Apollo Bangalore August 2018
- Diabecon July 2018 Infections in Diabetics Lecture on Immunoglobulin Dog bites –Mumbai July 2018
- IMA Pallikaranai and kamakshi hospital 2018 Common Infections In heart and Lung transplant recipients-Transplant ID Conferance –Hyderabad 2018
- Organizer of the ID prize exam for post gradutes across India in Clinical Infectious Disease Society Conferance 2018 Chair person – High techmedicine Apollo Cancer Conclave, January 2019
- All About fungus-Maharashtra Associations of Physicians Conferance-OCT 2019
7 years Post Fellowship