Dr. Suresh Radhakrishnan
MBBS, MS (Gen), MRCSEd, MD(Uro-Oncology), FRCS (Urol), CCT(UK)
Urology, Renal Sciences
Senior Consultant UrologistBook an Appointment
Dr Suresh has rich experience in urology and has sub-specialist interest in cancers related to Genito-Urinary Tract. He has been in the field of Urology for 22 Years with sub-specialist experience of 8 Years. He completed his MBBS from Stanley Medical College in 1996 and MS in General Surgery from Govt. Royapettah Hospital in 1999. His further Urology training is from the UK, having completed his MRCS from Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK in 2000 and FRCS in Urology from Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK in 2013. He has been boarding certified and obtained CCT in Urology from the UK in 2014. He has also obtained an MD from University of London for his research in to prostate Cancer in 2007.
In addition, he has done a BAUS (British association of Urological Surgeons) approved fellowship in open pelvic and upper tract oncology at Cardiff, United Kingdom and is highly competent to perform complex procedures such as like radical prostatectomy, cystectomy and ileal conduit, open radical nephrectomy including those invading IVC and RPLND.
He has got special interest in laparoscopic surgery and has done a BAUS approved laparoscopic fellowship at Royal Preston hospital, United Kingdom and learning to do laparoscopic procedures as lap. nephrectomy, lap. cystectomy and ileal conduit, lap. prostatectomy and lap. partial nephrectomies.
In addition, Dr Suresh Radhakrishnan has special interest in the following conditions:
- Prostate cancer diagnosis and treatment including transrectal prostate biopsy
- Open Radical and Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy, Radical Cystectomy
- Stone disease of the urinary tract
- Minimally Invasive Surgical Treatments like laparoscopic nephrectomy and laparoscopic pyeloplasty
- Rigid and Flexible Uretero-renoscopy and laser treatment of renal and ureteric stones
- Bipolar TURP (TURIS)
- Laser Prostatectomy (HOLEP/THULEP)
- Incontinence procedures such as TOT,
- Insertion of penile prosthesis for erectile dysfunction
- MBBS 1996, Stanley Medical College, Chennai, India
- M.S. (General Surgery) 1999, Kilpauk Medical College, Chennai, India
- MRCS 2000, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- MD in Academic Research 2007, Queen Marys University of London
- FRCS (Urology) 2013, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- CCT in Urology 2014, General Medical Council, UK
Pubmed indexed publications
- Radhakrishnan S, Dorkin TJ, Johnson P, Menezes P, Greene D. Nurse-led flexible cystoscopy: Experience from one UK centre. BJU Int. August 2006; 98(2): 256-258. PMID – 16879662
- Radhakrishnan S, Dorkin TJ, Sheikh N, Greene DR. Role of transition zone sampling by TURP in patients with raised PSA and multiple negative transrectal ultrasound guided prostate biopsies. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2004; 7(4): 338-42. PMID – 15365579
- S.Radhakrishnan,S.Manoharan, M.Fleet. Repeat survey of current practice regarding corticosteroid prophylaxis for patients at increased risk of adverse reaction to intravascular contrast agents. Clin Radiol. 2005 Jan; 60(1): 58-63. PMID – 15642294.
- S. Radhakrishnan, A. Lee, R.T. Oliver, F. Chinegwundoh. An Infectious cause for prostate cancer. BJU Int. February 2007; 99(2): 239-240. PMID – 17313418
- Suresh Radhakrishnan, Ralph Marsh, Naeem Sheikh, Prakash Johnson, Damian Greene. Urethral catheter induced pseudo aneurysm of the bulbar artery. Int J of Urol. 2005 Oct; 12(10): 922-924. PMID – 16323990
- Thwaini A, Shergill I, Radhakrishnan S, Chinegwundoh F, Thwaini H. Botox in urology. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2005 Nov; 19: 1-5. PMID – 16328118
- Radhakrishnan S, Miranda E, Ekblad M, Holford A, Pizarro MT, Lemoine NR, Halldén G. Efficacy of oncolytic mutants targeting pRb and p53 pathways is synergistically enhanced when combined with cytotoxic drugs in prostate cancer cells and tumour xenografts. Hum Gene Ther. 2010 Oct;21(10):1311-25. PMID: 20497039
- Ayman Younis and Suresh Radhakrishnan. Kidney stone disease. Trends-Urology and Men’s Health. Vol 2, Issue 1, Jan/Feb 2011.
- Suresh Radhakrishnan, Ayman Younis, Jay Khastgir. Ureteroscopic procedures. Urology News. Nov/Dec 2010
- Book Chapter
- Suresh Radhakrishnan and Frank Chinegwundoh. Investigational Therapies for Prostate Cancer. Book chapter, Urological Oncology by Vinod Nargund, Derek Raghavan, and Howard M. Sandler. ISBN-13: 978-1846283871
- S. Radhakrishnan, T.J. Dorkin, P.Johnson, D. Greene. Audit of nurse led flexible cystoscopy–Results from a single centre in U.K – learning curve and cost implications. Abstracts of the British Association of Urological Surgeons 2005 Annual Scientific Meeting, Glasgow, UK. BJU Int. June 2005 – Vol. 95 Issue s5 page 43.
- F Chinegwundoh, A Lee, S Radhakrishnan, S Bhanot, J Hines, RTD Oliver. Immediate versus deferred radiation for patients receiving intermittent hormone therapy for locally advanced prostate cancer. Abstracts of the British Association of Urological Surgeons 2005 Annual Scientific Meeting, Glasgow, UK. BJU Int. June 2005; Vol. 95 Issue s5: page 91.
- Frank Chinegwundoh, Angela Lee, Suresh Radhakrishnan, Shiv Bhanot, J Hines, Jennifer R Hill, R Oliver. Immediate versus deferred radiation for patients receiving intermittent hormone therapy for locally advanced prostate cancer. AUA annual meeting program abstracts, Atlanta, Georgia, 2006; Vol 175 s4: 211-212. J.Urol.
- S. Radhakrishnan,K.Enver, A. Lee F. Chinegwundoh. Impact of race on biochemical control after radiotherapy for localised and locally advanced Prostate Cancer. Abstract of British Prostate Group BAUS Section of Oncology British Uro-Oncology Group joint educational meeting, February 2006. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2006, Issue 9:467-468. doi: 10.1038/sj.pcan.4500905.
- Hodgson D, Smith J, Shivde S, Radhakrishnan S, Watson G. Total clearance of ureteric stones. An audit over a decade of ureteroscopy. Abstracts of the 20th World Congress on Endourology and SWL 18th, 19-22 September, Genoa, Italy. J. Endourol. 2002 Sep; 16 Suppl 1: page A171.
- Smith J, Hodgson D, Radhakrishnan S, Watson G M. Intraureteric lithotripsy – it’s not what you do, it’s the way that you do it. Abstracts of the 20th World Congress on Endourology and SWL 18th, 19-22 September, Genoa, Italy. J. Endourol. 2002 Sep; 16 Suppl 1: page A98.
- Ali Thwaini, Zahran T Budair, Iqbal Shergill, Abdul Nazir Shunaigat, Suresh Radhakrishnan. Retroperitoneoscopic management of patients with symptomatic renal cysts. Abstracts of the 23rd World Congress on Endourology and SWL, August 2005, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. J. Endourol. 2005 August;
- Suppl 1: page A53.
- Suresh Radhakrishnan, Frank Chinegwundoh, Nicholas Lemoine, Gunnel Hallden. Synergistic enhancement of cell death by combination therapy with adenovirus and chemotherapy. AUA annual meeting program abstracts, Anaheim, California. 2007.
- Radhakrishnan S, Hughes S, Bose P. Active surveillance of inguinal lymph nodes after treatment of primary penile cancer – a prospective study. European Urology- Eur UrolSuppl 2011;10(2):341.
- S Radhakrishnan, A Yadav, F Musa, P Malone, A Jones.Tertiary pattern reporting in prostate cancer: Impact on risk stratification of the 2005 International Society of Urological Pathology (ISUP) consensus on Gleason grading. Abstracts of the BAUS annual meeting 2010. BJUI, Page 18, Volume 106, Issue Supplement s1.
- Published extensively in peer reviewed journals, as well as having written a book chapter for a urology textbook
First author presentations
- Audit of nurse led flexible cystoscopy–Results from a single centre in U.K – learning curve and cost implications. Poster – BAUS annual meeting 2005, Glasgow.
- Combination therapy with wild type adenovirus and cytotoxic drugs can act synergistically to induce cell death in prostate carcinoma cell lines in culture. Poster – British prostate group autumn meeting 2005, London.
- Sexual Behaviour, history of sexually transmitted diseases and the patho-physiological variables in prostate cancer. Poster-BAUS section of oncology meeting, 2005, Edinburgh.
- Can we avoid bone scans in newly diagnosed prostate cancer? – Results from a multiethnic population. Poster-BAUS section of oncology 2005 meeting, Edinburgh.
- Impact of race on biochemical control after radiotherapy for localised and locally advanced prostate cancer. Poster – BPG/BUG/BAUS Section of Oncology joint training meeting, february 2006, London.
- Incidentally detected carcinoma after TURP in the PSA era. Poster – BAUS section of oncology Meeting, 2005.
- Repeat survey of current practice regarding corticosteroid prophylaxis for patients at increased risk of adverse reaction to intravascular contrast media – Poster – Royal college of radiologist audit meeting at London, September 2003.
- Nantes Technique: Is it The Definitive Technique for Open Radical Prostatectomy. Poster. BAUS section of oncology meeting. Glasgow. November 2008.
- Advances in ureteroscopy for stones seen over a 12-year period. Poster -Endourology meeting of BAUS at Edinburgh, September 2002.
- Synergistic enhancement of cell death by combination therapy with adenovirus and chemotherapy. AUA annual meeting, 2007. Moderated poster section.
- Tertiary pattern reporting in prostate cancer. Moderated poster, BAUS annual meeting 2010.
- Active surveillance of inguinal lymph nodes after treatment of primary penile cancer – a prospective study. Extended Poster session. EAU Annual Meeting 2011, Vienna, Austria.
- Active surveillance of non-malignant lymph nodes after treatment of primary penile cancer – a safe option? Welsh urological society meeting, Bridgend, Nov 2010.
- Audit of cystectomies 2012-2013 at UHW. Welsh urological society spring meeting 2014. Co- author presentations
- Immediate versus deferred radiation for patients receiving intermittent hormone therapy for locally advanced prostate cancer. Presented poster – AUA 2006, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- Randomised trial of Immediate versus deferred radiation for patients receiving intermittent hormone therapy for locally advanced prostate cancer. British Association of Urological Surgeons, 2005. Annual Scientific Meeting, Glasgow, UK.
- Total clearance of ureteric stones. An audit over a decade of ureteroscopy. Poster-20th World Congress on Endourology and Shockwave, Genoa.
- Intraureteric lithotripsy – its not what you do, it’s the way that you do it. Poster – 20th World Congress on Endourology and Shockwave at Genoa, Italy.
- Retroperitoneoscopic management of patients with symptomatic renal cysts. Poster – 23rd World Congress on Endourology, 2005, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Failed Definitive Treatment of Post-traumatic Posterior Urethral Strictures. Oral presentation – Southern Urologist Conference of India 1999 at Chennai, INDIA.
- A case of “Unusual Double Moiety with XanthogranulomatousUreteritis”. Oral presentation – Southern Urologist Conference of India 1999 at Chennai, INDIA.
- Questionnaire survey regarding Aspirin and other Anticoagulant use by Urologist in the United Kingdom. Oral presentation at North-East regional urology meeting.
- Sensitization of Pancreatic and prostate cancer cell lines replication-selective oncolytic viruses. Poster – “Cancer at Queen Mary’s” Meeting, London, February 2006.
- A comparison of intraureteric lithotripsy techniques-it’s not what you’ve got; it’s what you do with it that counts. Poster- Endourology meeting of BAUS 2002 at Edinburgh, September 2002.
- How should we manage patients with persistent suspicious urinary cytology: a Welsh survey of practice? Welsh urological society autumn meeting 2011.
- The incidence of parastomal and incisional hernias following cystectomy. Welsh Urological Society Spring Meeting 2014.
- Dr M SuryaGandhi Memorial Oration, UTI management – update for medical practitioners. TIMACON, IMA annual meeting December 2018, Kumbakonam
- Presented several papers in international urological congresses / meetings
- MD Research Project – “Enhancement of anti-tumour activity by combination of cytotoxic drugs and replication selective adenoviruses to target prostate cancer”
- “Malignant Gastric Outlet Obstruction” – MS thesis project
- Obtained ethical approval for study titled “Evaluation of oncolytic activity of adenoviruses on prostate explants”.
- Designed a questionnaire with guidance from Professor Oliver for a study entitled “the role of micronutrients, gene polymorphisms and sexually transmitted disease in prostate cancer pathogenesis in a multi-ethnic population”.
- Written a protocol for a new project entitled “Correlation of botulinum A efficacy with urodynamics, quality of life and cellular physiology in overactive bladder syndrome” at Belfast City Hospital
- Set up a prospective randomised study comparing doctor led hematuria clinic versus nurse led haematuria clinic at High Wycombe Hospital.
- Audit of prostate biopsies with closing of audit loop
- Audit of nurse led cystoscopy service with closing of audit loop
- Reaudit of ureteroscopic stone fragmentation using different modalities
- Audit of renal cell carcinoma
- Audit of Nantes technique of radical prostatectomy, Bradford, 2007
- Audit of the pathway for “Acute retention of urine”, Morriston hospital, Swansea, 2010
- Audit of abnormal urine cytology, 2011, Royal Glamorgan hospital, Wales
- Audit of cystectomies, 2014 at UHW, Wales
- Audit of laparoscopic partial nephrectomies at Royal Preston Hospital, UK
- Over 22 years’ experience in the field of urology
- Expert in endourology and trained with a special interest in urological cancers
- Specific expertise in laparoscopic and open pelvic urology
- Academically oriented, having done clinical research for a period of 3 years during his training period
- August 2000 to February 2015 National Health Service. UK
- March 2015 to July 2015 Visiting Consultant, Dr Rangarajan Memorial Hospital, Sundaram Medical Foundation, Anna Nagar
- July 2015 to December 2015 Consultant Urologist, MIOT Hospitals, Chennai
- January 2016 to September 2018 Apollo Spectra Hospitals, MRC Nagar, RA puram Chennai Meenakshi Multispeciality Hospitals, Mylapore Prashanth Superspeciality Hospitals, Velacheri