Dr. Suresh Anantharaj
MBBS, DTCD (Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases), DNB (Respiratory Diseases), FRCP (Glasgow)
Senior Consultant – Pulmonology, Interventional Pulmonology and Sleep MedicineBook an Appointment
Dr. Suresh Anantharaj is an ambitious Pulmonary Physician trained in the prestigious Christian Medical College Vellore. He has 20+ years of experience in treating complex respiratory diseases in leading hospitals. He has established pulmonology divisions with reliable pulmonary function, bronchoscopy, medical thoracoscopy, sleep lab and pleural biopsy services in leading hospitals in Chennai. He has trained 100+ national board and MRCP postgraduates in clinical, interventional, and research skills. He has been a thesis guide for national board post graduates.
- FRCP Medicine, Royal College of Physicians And Surgeons, Glasgow, 2017-2018.
- DNB, Respiratory Diseases, Christian Medical College, Vellore, 2006-2008.
- DTCD, Tuberculosis And Chest Diseases, Madras Medical College, Chennai, 1995-1997.
- MBBS, Medicine, Surgery, OBG, Madras Medical College, Chennai, 1985-08 – 1991-01.
- Fibre-optic bronchoscopy training, JIPMER Hospital – May 2000 to November 2000
- EBUS (Endobronchial Ultrasound) Simulation training, ACCP, Northbrook, Illinois-August 2013
- Basic ICU Sonology Course, CMC Vellore – June 2014
- Interventional Pulmonology Course, Max Hospitals, New Delhi – October 2014
- Interventional Pulmonology Cryo/APC/Electrocautery, ERBE Academy, University of Tubingen, Germany – June 2018
- Bronchial Thermoplasty and EBUS, University of Chicago: Medicine, Illinois – June 2019
- Executive Management program in Healthcare (E-MBA), Darden School of Business Foundation, University of Virginia – July 2020 to June 2021
Affiliations and Memberships
- Member, Indian Chest Society – Reg No: L1530
- Member, European Respiratory Society – Reg No: 307498
- Fellow, International Medical Sciences Academy – PID No: 2758F
- Fellow, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow – PID No: 129963
- Part time Consultant, Pulmonary Medicine, SRM Institutes for Medical Science, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, 2014- Current
- Dissertation: Respiratory muscle weakness in ventilated acute organophosphate poisoning patients. Presented the above research work in the national conference NAPCON, 2007 at PGIMER, Chandigarh, and won the ‘BEST POSTER’ Award in the corresponding category.
- Conducted CME for primary care practitioners on world COPD day – 2009 at Sundaram medical foundation, Anna Nagar
- Faculty in forum – 2010 (topic: COPD – therapy principle), an annual academic conference conducted by smf hospital for general practitioners
- Delivered speech for doctors (topic: COPD – a practical approach) at military hospital, Chennai
- Delivered awareness talk for nurses (topic: antimicrobial resistance and its global spread; no action today; no cure tomorrow) on world health day – 2011 at st. Isabel’s hospital, Mylapore
- Delivered a lecture on ‘asthma management’ during the 359th monthly CME program of imsa tamil nadu chapter in december 2011, at k j hospital auditorium
- Conducted Spirometry Workshop for the paramedical staff on world COPD day – 2011 and on world asthma day – 2013 at Sundaram medical foundation, Anna Nagar
- Faculty in forum 2012 (topic: asthma – shifting paradigm) conducted by Sundaram medical foundation in november 2012
- Faculty in Napcon – 2013, (Chair Person – oral presentation in session on ild) national respiratory conference held in Chennai
- Conducted asthma workshop on world asthma day – 2015 at Sundaram medical foundation, Anna Nagar
- Faculty in forum – 2015 (respiratory medicine), (topic: approach to a patient with pleural effusion) conducted by Sundaram Medical foundation in November 2015
- Academic co-ordinator in forum – 2015 (respiratory medicine) and organized pre-conference workshop conducted by Sundaram medical foundation in November 2015
- Guest lecture on ‘asthma updates’ delivered on world asthma day 2016 organized by department of respiratory medicine, Chettinad hospital & research institute, Chennai
- Faculty in mastering medicine – 2016 (topic: interstitial lung diseases) conducted by Sundaram medical foundation in July 2016
- Faculty in mastering medicine – 2017 (topic: Abc’s of pulmonary medicine) conducted by Sundaram medical foundation in July 2017
- Delivered lecture on ‘updates in COPD management’ – CME organized by association of physicians of India, Vellore chapter in October 2017
- Faculty in mastering medicine – 2018 (topic: pleural emergencies) conducted by Sundaram medical foundation in June 2018
- Faculty in COPD workshop conducted by academy of family physicians of India – TN chapter – 2019 (topic: interpretation of pft / choosing the right device for the right patient)
- Faculty in media fellowship program on chronic respiratory diseases – orientation workshop, conducted by reach – 2019
- Guest lecture on ‘hyper acute asthma’ delivered on world asthma day 2019 organized by department of respiratory medicine, Chettinad hospital & research institute, Chennai
- Faculty in mastering medicine – 2019 (topic: hemoptysis – er perspective) conducted by Sundaram medical foundation in August 2019
- Faculty in CRSCON – 2019 conducted by Coimbatore respiratory society in august 2019 (topic: persistent air leak)
- Delivered a lecture on ‘ILD’ during the 452nd monthly CME program of IMSA Tamil Nadu chapter in September 2019, at k j hospital auditorium
- Faculty in forum – 2020 (topic: hemoptysis) conducted by Sundaram medical foundation in February 2020
- Faculty in NCAP 2022 (national conference for allied health professions) conducted by mmm college of health sciences march 2022 – topic: management of COPD from respiratory therapist’s perspective
- Bronchiectasis in India – Results from the European Multicentre. Bronchiectasis Audit and Research Collaboration (EMBARC) and Respiratory Research Network of India Registry: The Lancet Global Health: Volume 7, Issue 9, September 2019, Pages e1269 – e1279: Was part of the study group and recruited bronchiectasis patients from both SMF and SIMS Hospital.
- Hypoxemia as a determinant of hospitalisation in patients with community-acquired pneumonia. European Respiratory Journal 2018 52: PA2026. Presented as poster discussion in European Respiratory Society International Congress 2018 held in Paris, France.
- Post-Tuberculosis Bronchiectasis in India: Outcomes of the Indian EMBARC Registry European Respiratory Journal 52 (suppl 62) PA2748; DOI: 10.1183/13993003.congress-2018.PA2748 Published 19 November 2018
- Asthma Control and Quality of life in ‘Not Well Controlled Asthma’. Respirology Special Issue: Abstracts of the 21st Congress of the APSR, 2016. Presented as poster in International Congress of Asia Pacific Society of Respirology 2016 held in Bangkok, Thailand.
- Phenotype characterization of Non Cystic bronchiectasis in India: Baseline data from Indian Bronchiectasis Registry : Respirology Special Issue: Abstracts of the 21st Congress of the APSR 2016, 12–15 November 2016, Bangkok, Thailand
- ‘CAT’ or ‘mMRC’ – Which is a better symptom scale in recent GOLD COPD classification? European Respiratory Journal 2015 46: PA398. Presented as poster discussion in European Respiratory Society International Congress 2015 held in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Participated as a Co-investigator in a Multinational clinical trial in 2008 (RCT on Role of Ceftaroline in community acquired pneumonia) at Christian Medical College, Vellore
- Respiratory muscle weakness in ventilated acute organophosphate poisoning patients: Presented and was awarded ‘Best Poster’ title in NAPCON 2007, national conference conducted by Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh.
- Fibre optic bronchoscopy and related procedures
- Medical Thoracoscopy and related procedures
- Endobronchial Ultrasound (EBUS) and Cryo TBLB
- Closed Pleural biopsy – USG Guided
- ICU procedures – Intubation, Central line, Arterial line
- Pulmonary Function Tests and Sleep study
- Lumbar puncture, Bone Marrow Biopsy
- PG Registrar, Christian Medical College Hospital, Vellore, Tamil Nadu, 2006-03 – 2008-03
- Tutor, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Christian Medical College Hospital, Vellore, Tamil Nadu, 2008-03 – 2009-03
- Visiting Pulmonologist, Sundaram Medical Foundation, Dr. Rangarajan Memorial Hospital, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, 2009-03 – 2020-03.
- Hospital Consultant, Pulmonology, St. Isabel’s Hospital, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, 2010-04 – 2016-04.
- Empanelled Consultant, Pulmonology, Fortis Malar Hospital, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, 2010-03 – 2013-04.
- Consultant, Pulmonology and Critical Care, Velammal Hospital, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, 2011-06 – 2014-05.