Dr. J. Jeyaprakashkanna
MBBS, DNB (General Surgery), DrNB (Neurosurgery), CCCM (Critical Care), PGDP (Psychology), PGDML (Medical Law), PGDHM (Hospital Management)
Institute of Neuroscience, Neurosurgery
Consultant - Department of NeurosurgeryBook an Appointment
Dr. Jeyaprakashkanna has wide experience of 10 years in the super speciality of Neurosurgery, 4 years of experience in General surgery, Vascular surgery and Endoscopic surgery. He completed his Neurosurgical training from the Premier Institute of Safdarjung Hospital & VMMC, NewDelhi . It is one of India’s Premier Institute and SouthAsia’s second Hospital with largest number of Emergency patient foot fall, a World War II institute and the Mother Institute Hospital that gave birth to AIIMS – All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. Dr Jeyaprakashkanna has specialised form this Hospital in the management of Emergency Neurotrauma – Head Injury, CerebroVascular disorders – Aneurysms/AVMs, NeuroOncology, Endovascular Neurosurgery, Spine Surgery and Functional Neurosurgery. His field of expertise and interest is Management of Neurotrauma/Polytrauma – Head Injury and CeverbroVascular disorders.
Dr Jeyaprakashkanna is currently working as a full-time Consultant Neurosurgeon providing round the clock Emergency and Elective Neurosurgical services individually in the Department of Neurosciences at Dr Rela’s Institute and Medical Centre, Chennai. It is the Pioneer institute for Liver Transplantation and a Quaternary Multispeciality Hospital rendering services of International Standards to both Neighbourhood population and International patients. It is both JCI and NABH accredited hospital equipped with experienced doctors and world class amenities. The Neurosciences department here provides 365 x 24 x 7 Emergency and Elective Neurosurgical, Neurological and Endovascular Neurosurgical Intervention services with dedicated Specialists, doctors, intensivists and Neurocritical care specialists.
Dr Jeyaprakashkanna graduated MBBS with College first Rank in Anatomy, Pathology, ENT and General Medicine, and Distinction in Anatomy and Pathology, from IRT Perundurai Medical College and Research Centre, Tamil Nadu. He was one of the Best Outgoing Student from his Institute. He obtained his DNB General Surgery post graduation from Apollo Hospitals, Greams Road, Chennai, a Pioneer Corporate Institute in India. He had received his training in General surgery, paediatric surgery, vascular surgery, surgical gastroenterology and laparoscopy from Doyens of corresponding fields including Prof Rangabashyam, Prof Kalyanaraman, Prof N. Sekar, Prof Veena Girinath and Prof V Sripathi.
He has been an able administrator and a teacher, active member of the JCI accreditation, Organising member of the Apollo annual surgical course 2011 and Editor of the Apollo Surgical course book 2011. He has penned Chapters in several public awareness healthcare books by writer Mr Nilakanta siva.
He has been academically active attending conferences, CMEs and presenting papers in local, national and international conferences. He is a member of Tamilnadu and Pondicherry Association of Neurological surgeons and Neurological Society of India. He loves Chess, travelling and gardening.
- MBBS – IRT Perundurai Medical College and Research Centre, Perundurai, Erode District, Tamilnadu 638053. 1998 – 2004 (June 2003)
- DNB (General Surgery) National Board of Examinations, Apollo Hospitals, Greams Road, Chennai, Tamilnadu 600006. 2007 – 2010 (June 2011)
- DrNB (Doctorate in Neurosurgery) National Board of Examinations, Safdarjung Hospital and VMMC, New Delhi 110029. 2012 – 2015 (Dec 2021)
- “Testis Sparing Surgery in Paediatric Testicular Teratomas – Our Experience”, Chennai City Paediatric Surgeons Meet, Chennai, Aug 2007.
- “Testis Sparing Surgery in Paediatric Testicular Teratomas – Our Experience”, VEPSCON 2008 (7th Annual Paediatric Surgical Conference of the Tamilnadu & Pondicherry chapter of Indian Association of Paediatric Surgeons), Aug 2008
- “Our Experience with GIST”, ASICON 2008(Tamilnadu & Pondicherry chapter of Association of Surgeons of India), Chennai, Aug 2008.
- “Validation of Blue Dye Directed Sentinel Lymphnode Biopsy and Frozen Section with standard Axillary Lymphnode Dissection”, ONCOCON 2009 (Biennial NATIONAL Conference of Indian Society of Medical & Paediatric Oncology, and Indian Society of Oncology), Chennai, Feb 2009.
- “Evaluation of the Role of Measurements based on preoperative MRI and USG for identifying the vertebral level in spine surgery”, AIIMS Neurocon 2015, Mar 2015.
Affiliations and Memberships
- Life Member – Tamil Nadu & Pondicherry Association of Neurological surgeons (TANS)
- Life Member NSI (Neurological Society of India)
- Life Member NTSI (Neurotrauma Society of India)
Awards & Academic Medals
- Gold Medallist and College 1st Rank in Anatomy, Pathology, ENT and General Medicine
- College Second Rank in General Surgery
- First Person to take Neurosurgery seat in All India DNB CET SS – 2012
- One of the Best Outgoing Students from IRT Perundurai Medical College – 1998 Batch
Thesis & Research Work
1. Evaluation Of The Role Of Measurements Based On Preoperative Magnetic resonance Imaging And Ultrasound For Identifying The Vertebral Level In Spine surgery. (Super speciality).
2. Validation Of Blue Dye Directed Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy And Frozen Section, with Axillary Lymph Node Dissection In Women With Clinically Node Negative early Breast Cancer. (Broad speciality).
- Consultant Neurosurgeon & Spine surgeon
- Specialist NeuroTraumatologist
- Expert Cerebrovascular Surgeon
- Agash Hospital, Chrompet
- COSH Hospital, Tambaram
- Balaji Hospital, Tambaram
- Jolen Hospital, Sembakkam
- C-Dot Hospital, Perumbakkam
- MSK Clinic, Perumbakkam
- BS Hospital, Chitlapakkam
- Consultant Neurosurgeon, Dr Rela’s Hospital & Medical Centre, Chrompet, Chennai, Tamilnadu, India. 2018 – Present
- Senior Registrar in Neurosurgery, Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Perumbakkam, Chennai, Tamilnadu, India. 2016 – 2018
- DNB Senior Resident in Neurosurgery, Safdarjung Hospital & VMMC, NewDelhi, India. 2012 – 2015
Field of Expertise
1. Head Injury Management – Polytrauma and Road Traffic Accident Expertise (Had been managing 3 years the Neurosurgical ER – Safdarjung Hospital a high volume centre with Dedicated Neurosurgical Emergency Room with 40-60 Emergency Head Injury patients per day through Casualty). Over past 10years have been treating Head injury patients of all Grades and coordinating their Post operative Occupational and Rehabilitation therapy.
2. CerebroVascular disorders – Have been doing Aneurysm surgeries and AVMs at Safdarjung Hospital a premier Institute with more than 20 aneurysm surgeries per year. Regularly doing Direct and Indirect revascularisation and Modified EDAMS surgeries in Moya Moya disease, Young stroke and other cerebrovascular disorders.
3. Spine surgeries and interested in Minimally Invasive Spine surgeries.
- Consultant Neurosurgeon – Dr. Rela Hospital, Chrompet, Chennai(2018-Present)
- Senior Registrar in Neurosurgery – Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Chennai (2016-2018)
- DNB Senior Resident (Neurosurgery) – Safdarjung Hospital & VMMC, New Delhi. (2012-2015)
- Senior Resident (General Surgery) – Apollo Hospitals, Chennai. (2011-2012)
- Resident (DNB General Surgery) – Apollo Hospitals, Chennai. (2007-2010)
- Medical Officer – IRT Perundurai Medical College & Research Centre, Perundurai, Erode (2005-2006)