Dr. Asma Bibi is a pathologist who has undergone training in JIPMER with the completion of a thesis under the topic “Histopathological and Immunohistochemical evaluation of follicular patterned neoplasms of thyroid” for the partial fulfilment of the degree of M.D Pathology during the period 2010-2013. She started her senior residency at JIPMER where she carried out teaching the undergraduate and postgraduate students of Pathology. Further, she pursued my senior residency followed by a two years fellowship in Hematopathology in Tata Memorial Hospital in Mumbai.
Dr Asma Bibi completed 2 years of HBNI fellowship in the Haematopathology laboratory in Tata Memorial Hospital. The Hematopathology laboratory at Tata memorial Hospital had given here the signatory authority which in turn was accredited by the National; Accreditation Board for testing and calibration laboratories (NABL). It provided comprehensive haematology training for hemato-lymphoid malignancies like Leukaemia. Lymphoma and Multiple Myeloma diagnosis with exposure in state of art facilities like flow cytometry for diagnosis and minimal residual disease monitoring in acute leukaemia. She has been trained in the laboratory to provide reliable, accurate and timely diagnostic services to all her patients and referring clinicians. The Laboratory had a large workload and processed an average of 700 hemograms and 300 coagulation samples per day. The laboratory also received 7000 bone marrow aspiration samples annually. It also analysed 5000 flow cytometry samples in a year. These include assays for immunophenotyping of hematolymphoid malignancies (leukaemia and lymphoma), CD34 stem cell enumeration for bone marrow transplants, molecular testing. She has been trained in reporting bone marrow aspirate, peripheral smears, body fluid cytospin smears, flow cytometry immunophenotyping including analysis and reporting of minimal residual disease. She has received 4 months of molecular haematopathology training which includes diagnosing the various molecular abnormalities in chronic myeloproliferative neoplasm, chronic lymphoproliferative disorder, molecular monitoring of chronic myeloid leukaemia and acute promyelocytic leukaemia. In addition, she has received training in histopathology reporting of lymphoreticular systems for 4 months. She has also been to cytogenetic reporting in acute leukaemia under Dr Pratibha Amare for one month as a part of my peripheral posting in fellowship. As a part of our fellowship training, she participated in the multidisciplinary joint clinics for newly diagnosed cases of various hematolymphoid neoplasms. She had been to the Department of Transfusion Medicine & Immunohaematology, Christian Medical College, Vellore from 1st April 2016 to 30th April 2016 as a visitor observer in the areas of coagulation, clinical haematology, peripheral and bone marrow aspirate smear reporting.
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research JIPMER, Pondicherry, MBBS, 2008
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research JIPMER, Pondicherry, MD, 2013
- Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai, HBNI Fellowship in Hematopathology Haemato-Pathology Laboratory, 2016.
- Participated as Faculty in the “Third CME for Medical Laboratory Technologists” conducted at Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai on 21st & 22nd December 2013.
- Participated as Faculty in the Eleventh Clinical Cytometry Course conducted at Tata Memorial Hospital and Super Religare Labs Ltd, Mumbai, from 17th to 21st February 2014.
- Participated as Faculty in the Twelfth Clinical Cytometry Course conducted at Tata Memorial Hospital and Super Religare Labs Ltd, Mumbai, from 4th to 8st August 2014.
- Delivered a lecture in the Post conference Workshop conducted on November 9, 2014, “T and T/NK cell lymphomas” at Apollo Hospital, Hyderabad.
- Participated as Faculty in the “Fourth CME for Medical Laboratory Technologists” conducted at Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai on 21st & 22nd December 2014.
- Participated as Faculty in the “Fifth CME for Medical Laboratory Technologists” conducted at Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai on 19th & 20th December 2015.
- Participated as Faculty in the “Sixth CME for Medical Laboratory Technologists” to be held in Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai on 21th & 22nd December 2016.
Affiliations and Memberships
- Lifetime Member of The Cytometry Society of India
- First prize at the Annual TAPCON 2010 quiz competition organized by the Department of Pathology, JIPMER on the 13th and 14th August 2010.
- Third prize in the Pathology quiz competition organized during PATHMEET 2012, held at Indira Gandhi Medical College & Research Institute (IGMC & RI), Pondicherry on 11th February 2012.
- First Prize at the 8th Annual Meeting of the cytometry society held on 24th-25th October 2015 for oral paper titled “New immunophenotypic markers in B cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia in minimal residual disease detection”.
- Attended AMP 2015 Annual Meeting and Exhibits- November 5th -7th 2015, Austin, Texas and presented a poster on “Copy number alterations in Precursor B lineage acute lymphoblastic leukemia”.
- Siddhartha Das, Bhawana Badhe, Asma Bibi and Manoj K. Mohanty. Sudden Death as a Complication of Choriocarcinoma. J Forensic Sci, January 2015, Vol. 60, No. 1 doi: 10.1111/1556-4029.12581
- Asma Bibi, PG Subramanian, Satish Mirgal, Karishma Chopra, Shruti Chaudhary, Swapnali Joshi, Sheetal Garware, Prashant Tembhare, Sumeet Gujral, Nikhil Patkar. Acute lymphoblastic leukemia: IKAROS gene deletions in precursor B lineage acute lymphoblastic leukemia (B-ALL). Agarwal MB, editor. Hematology update. Mumbai Hematology Group, Mumbai, pp 331-338.
- Kiran Ghodke, Asma Bibi, Nikhil Rabade, Nikhil Patkar, PG Subramanian, Pratibha Kadam Aamre, Y Badrinath , Sitram Ghogale, Sumeet Gujral and Prashant Tembhare. CD19 Negative Precursor B Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (B-ALL) – immunophenotypic challenges in diagnosis and monitoring: A study of three cases. Cytometry B Clin Cytom. 2016 Mar 28. doi: 10.1002/cyto.b.21373.
- Prashant Tembhare, Sitaram Ghogale S, Nisha , Y Badrinath , Nikesh Kunder , Nikhil Patkar, Asma Bibi, Gaurav Chatterjee, Brijesh Arora, Gaurav Narula, S Banawali , Nilesh Deshpande, Pratibha Kadam Amare, Sumeet Gujral, PG Subramanian. Evaluation of new markers for minimal residual disease monitoring in B-cell precursor acute lymphoblastic leukemia: CD73 and CD86 are the most relevant new markers to increase the efficacy of MRD assay. Cytometry B Clin Cytom. 2016 Oct 7. doi: 10.1002/cyto.b.21486. [Epub ahead of print]
- Rabade N, Bibi A, Ghodke K, Tembhare P, Amare P, Subramanian P G, Gujral S. Lymphoblastic leukemia with surface light chain restriction: A diagnostic dilemma. Indian j Pathol Microbiol 2016; 59: 410-2
- Nikhil Patkar, PG Subramanian, Prashant Tembhare, Sneha Mandalia, Gaurav Chaterjee, Nikhil Rabade, Rohan Kodgule, Karishma Chopra, Asma Bibi, Swapnali Joshi, Shruti Chaudhary, Russel Mascerhenas, Pratibha Kadam-Amare, Gaurav Narula, Brijesh Arora, Shripad Banavali, Sumeet Gujral. An integrated genomic profile that includes copy number alterations is highly predictive of minimal residual disease status in childhood precursor B-lineage acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2017 April-June, Volume 60. Issue 2.
- Bibi A, Java S, Chaudhary S, Joshi S, Mascerhenas R, Rabade N, Tembhare P, Subramanian PG, Gujral S, Menon H, Khattry N, Sengar M, Bagal B, Jain H, Patkar N. BRAFV600E mutation in hairy cell leukemia: A single-center experience. Indian J Pathol Microbiol [serial online] 2018 [cited 2019 Jul 1];61: 532-6. Available from: http://www.ijpmonline.org/text.asp?2018/61/4/532/242988
Dr. Asma Bibi is trained in :-
- Flow cytometry and molecular pathology
- Diagnostic and Minimal residual disease detection in hematolymphoid neoplasms.
- Acute Leukaemia
- Chronic Lymphoproliferative disorders
- Multiple Myeloma
- Primary Immune deficiency work up by flow cytometry
- Immunological assays by flow cytometry.
- She is certified in Internal auditor ny FQI
Experience: Post MD 5 and half years
- She has been in experience for 5 and half years after MD.
- She has worked as a Consultant in the Pathology Department of Cancer Institute Adyar at Chennai and has reported peripheral smears, bone marrow aspirate smears, cytochemistry, bone marrow biopsies and flow cytometric immunophenotyping, immunohistochemistry on trephine biopsies in hematolymphoid neoplasms. She has participated in the medical oncology weekly forum as a part of cases being discussed.
- She has worked as an associate consultant in the Haematopathology Department of Apollo Cancer Institute in Teynampet. She independently reported the peripheral smears, bone marrow aspirate smears, cytospin from body fluids, cytochemistry, immunophenotyping which includes diagnosis of acute leukaemia, chronic lymphoproliferative disorder, minimal residual disease reporting in B ALL, T ALL, AML, CLL and MM. She has reported cases of myeloma. CD20 monitoring post rituximab therapy, CD34 enumeration, T and B cell subsets.