Dr. Vimal Kumar G
MBBS, MD (Paediatrics), MRCPCH, FNB (Paediatric Haematology/Oncology)
Clinical Haemato Oncology, Paediatric Haematology, Oncology & Bone Marrow Transplantation, Cancer Centre
Pediatric Hemato Oncology - Senior ConsultantBook an Appointment
Dr. Vimal Kumar underwent his undergraduate training from the prestigious Madras Medical College, Chennai, and his postgraduate training, MD (Paediatrics) from SMS Medical College, Jaipur. He was awarded the Gold Medal for being the best outgoing student of the year in his post graduation. He finished his fellowship training in Paediatric Haematology/Oncology from Apollo Cancer Institute, Chennai. He further underwent training in Bone Marrow Transplantation at St. Mary’s Hospital (Imperial College NHS), London, the UK under the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, UK. He has proven competence in the management of various blood disorders and cancer in children. He has been involved in more than 300 allogeneic and autologous stem cell transplantation both in India and the UK. He has numerous presentations and publications in National and International journals with a special interest in Haploidentical stem cell transplantation.
GOLD MEDAL issued by the India Health Trust for the Best Outgoing Student of the year 2010 in MD Paediatrics
- ‘Hereditary Non-Spherocytic Hemolytic Anemia (HNSHA): Case reports of Rare Hereditary Red Cell Enzymopathies’ – Indian Pediatrics (accepted for publication)
- ‘Varied Clinical Manifestations of LRBA Deficiency (Immune Dysregulation Disorder)’ – Indian Pediatrics 2021 Mar 15;58(3):285-286
- ‘Non-Malignant Lymphoproliferative Disorders in Children: A case series’ – Indian Journal of Hematology and Blood Transfusion, 2021 Jan;37(1):152-156. Epub 2020 Jul 27 DOI: 10.1007/s12288-020-01323-7
- ‘Diagnostic spectrum and clinical profile of Primary Immunodeficiency Disorders at a tertiary care children hospital in South India’ – Indian Pediatrics 2021 Mar 15;58(3):246-249
- ‘Outcomes for high-risk hepatoblastoma in a resource-challenged setting’- BJS open 2020; 4: 630–636
- Wrote a chapter on ‘Coagulopathy in Liver Disease’ in the book ‘Pediatric Liver Intensive Care’ by authored by Dr Naresh Shanmugam, published by Springer in 2018
- ‘Multidisciplinary management of hepatoblastoma in children: Experience from a developing country’ – Pediatric Blood and Cancer, 2017; 64: e26249
- ‘Extensive nail changes in a toddler with multisystemic Langerhans cell histiocytosis’ – Pediatric Dermatology, 2017;34:732-734
- Primary immune deficiencies and stem cell transplantation Sri Lanka Journal of Child Health, 2017; 46(1): 3-15
- Irinotecan as maintenance therapy in relapsed Hepatoblastoma- a case report’- Pediatric haematology-oncology – journal 2 (2017) 63-64
- ‘Autologous Immune Enhancement Therapy in Philadelphia chromosome-positive Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia: A Case Report’ – Indian Journal of Hematology and Blood Transfusion 2014 30:202-204 DOI 10.1007/s12288-013-0327-3
- ‘Kaposiform Haemangioendothelioma in a 3-month-old infant’ – Indian Journal of Hematology and Blood Transfusion DOI 10.1007/s12288-016-0674-y
- ‘‘Clinical profile and treatment outcomes of Hepatoblastoma – 10-year experience from a developing country’- SIOP 2019 (51st Congress of International Society of Paediatric Oncology) held at Lyon, France in October 2019
- ‘Role of adjuvant chemotherapy post-liver transplantation in Hepatoblastoma – necessity and feasibility’– PHOCON held at Bengaluru in December 2018
- ‘Role of Liver Transplantation in Hepatoblastoma – Experience from a Developing Country’– St Jude Viva Forum, Singapore 2017
- ‘’Haploidentical BMT with a Post-Infusion of Stem Cells Cyclophosphamide Approach is Feasible and Leads to a High Rate of Donor Engraftment in Haemoglobinopathies Allowing Universal Application of Transplantation’ – British Society of Bone Marrow Transplantation (BSBMT) conference held at London, the United Kingdom on May 12, 2016
- ‘Multidisciplinary management of Hepatoblastoma with the incorporation of Liver Transplantation in children’ – PHOCON held at Mumbai in November 2016
- Irinotecan as maintenance therapy in relapsed Hepatoblastoma-a case report – PHOCON held at Mumbai in November 2016.
- ‘Sibling cord and bone marrow to cure Thalassaemia major’ – Asia Pacific Bone Marrow Transplant (APBMT) conference held at Hyderabad, India in October 2012
- ‘Syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion complicating umbilical cord stem cell transplantation’– APBMT held in October 2012 at Hyderabad, India
- ‘Use of unrelated peripheral blood stem cells from the Indian donor registry to cure childhood haematological conditions’ – APBMT held in October 2012 at Hyderabad, India
- ‘Infection-related mortality during induction therapy of childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia in a tertiary care centre in South India’ – PHOCON held at Ludhiana in November 2012
- ‘Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans in an infant – a case report’- PHOCON held at Ludhiana in November 2012
- ‘Experience with polythene glycol conjugated asparaginase in the treatment of children with newly diagnosed acute lymphoblastic leukaemia during induction chemotherapy’- PHOCON held at Ludhiana in November 2012 Participated in a debate – Conservative vs Aggressive management in Chronic ITP – PHOCON held at Ludhiana in November 2012
- ‘A treosulphan based reduced toxicity conditioning protocol for thalassaemia major’ – Haematocon 2013 held in Nov 2013 at Mumbai, India
- He has more than 10 years of experience in the field of Paediatric Haematology, Oncology, and Bone Marrow Transplantation.
- He has vast expertise in the management of all blood-related disorders in children;
- Comprehensive care of paediatric cancers including leukaemias and solid tumours with a special interest in hepatoblastoma and management of Primary Immune deficiencies in children.
- His special interest is in Blood & Marrow Transplantation (BMT) – Allogeneic and Autologous, with special expertise in Haploidentical BMT.
- Assistant Professor, Paediatrics, Saveetha Medical College, Chennai, 2010-2012
- Fellow, Paediatric Haematology and Oncology, Apollo Cancer Institute, Chennai, 2012-2014
- Junior Consultant, Paediatric Haematology, Oncology & BMT, Global Hospital, Chennai, 2014-2015
- International Clinical Fellow, Paediatric Haematology and BMT, St. Mary’s Hospital, Imperial College Healthcare NHS, London, UK, 2015-2016
- Consultant, Paediatric Haematology and Oncology & BMT, Gleneagles Global Health City, Chennai, 2016-2019